[comp.emacs] Why does uemacs run out of buffer but not in Windows?

jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) (05/15/91)

I have tried several releases of Microemacs 3.10, as well as 3.11 beta
and I still can't edit very large files.  MEWIN however, supposedly
built from 3.10m, doesn't have any size restriction I can find.

I only have Quick C so I am not sure I can modify and rebuild from
source.

Thanks in advance.
--
     Jerry Natowitz
     Guest user on:

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (05/17/91)

In article <7526@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) writes:
>I have tried several releases of Microemacs 3.10, as well as 3.11 beta
>and I still can't edit very large files.  MEWIN however, supposedly
>built from 3.10m, doesn't have any size restriction I can find.
>
>I only have Quick C so I am not sure I can modify and rebuild from
>source.

Hmmm... I don't know how large is your very large file, but you seem
to suffer from a too small memory model. Try recompiling with a larger
memory model. MEWIN maybe works this way. I use 3.9 on some Unix
systems and 3.10 on Amiga, and I can load the formatted manual (more
than 150 kb without any problem.

o   oooooo	Gian Uberto Lauri
      o    o	saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it
     o o

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (05/22/91)

In article <11180@alessia.dei.unipd.it> saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it
(Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) writes:
>In article <7526@spdcc.SPDCC.COM> jin@spdcc.COM (Jerry Natowitz) writes:
>>I have tried several releases of Microemacs 3.10, as well as 3.11 beta
>>and I still can't edit very large files.  MEWIN however, supposedly
>>built from 3.10m, doesn't have any size restriction I can find.
>Hmmm... I don't know how large is your very large file, but you seem
>to suffer from a too small memory model. Try recompiling with a larger
>memory model. MEWIN maybe works this way. I use 3.9 on some Unix
>systems and 3.10 on Amiga, and I can load the formatted manual (more
>than 150 kb without any problem.

I'm no expert on Windows programming but I think the reason is due to
how Windows applications allocate memory: ie. Windows is generally
smarter about it than DOS, and will use XMS and (in 386 mode) virtual
memory. Similarly, you won't have the same memory problems under Unix,
because of its VM.

Under DOS, the only way you can get more than ~200k files loaded is to
compile uE with a protected-mode compiler, unless Dan decides to put in
overspill-file capabilty (a la Jove) sometime (*major* modification...)

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|