[comp.emacs] Key bindings

aj3u@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Asim Jalis) (06/04/90)

In article <1990Jun3.073745.9422@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> aj3u@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (Asim Jalis) writes:
> I use GNUemacs on a vt100 terminal and am having problems with the
> arrow keys.  The keys produce garbage as output, forcing me to use ^P,
> ^N, etc. for moving the cursor.  Does anyone have code written for the
> .emacs file that would solve this problem.  Please use email since I
> do not read this newsgroup regularly.

I received the code by mail, so ignore the above message.  Thanks!

Asim Jalis.

news@hod.uit.no (USENET News System) (10/19/90)

I do not know if this is the right forum but anyhow,
From: gudmund@forit.uit.no (Gudmundur Joekulsson)

I am using emacs writing LaTeX text in Norwegian.
The problem is that the Norwegian characters in LaTeX consist of a sequence
including the \, { and } (the to last ones for grouping the sequence)
and these sequences have to bind to keys originaly bounded to these
symbols.  i.e. the \ key bound to {\O}; the { key bound to {\ae} and so on.
This gives me >> variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size when
trying to use the key.
I am now using makros that define the sequences without the grouping
symbols, a makro to bind them to the keys and then i have to run a makro to
add the grouping (with replace) before using the text file (no solution
for the \O character).
Is there a way to escape the last thing ?
Or is this pherehaps the wrong way to attacc the problem alltogether ?
HELP!

P.S. I know this is really a LaTeX problem but can it be solved in emacs ?

Thanks in advance for any direct e-mail or group answers.

gudmund@forit.uit.no

Gudmundur S. J{\o}kulsson,
FORUT (FOundation of applied Reserch University of Troms{\o},
Norway.

lord_zar@UCRMATH.UCR.EDU (wayne wallace) (05/26/91)

Okay, I do know how to set (global-set-key " " 'funcname) with control and
meta characters, but how does one set it up to redefine keyboard characters
without controls or metas?

You see, for some odd reason on our (SunOS4.1) system, no matter the term type,
the ascii character 'W' has somehow been set to delete-char. I can unset it,
but have not found a way to reset it to print a normal W. Any clues?

And how did I come across this problem? well, take a look at my name.

Wayne.