[comp.emacs] Quotes

piet@cs.ruu.nl (Piet van Oostrum) (05/30/91)

DL> In the case of quoting the quotes in regular expressions,
DL> "counter-intuitive" is an understatement (related to euphemism).
DL> Grossly obscure is more like it.  (If I were to say it is "like a
DL> breath of fresh air", that would be an ironic, sarcastic metaphor.)

DL> Who amoung you has not struggled to get your quoted quotes right -
DL> either in Emacs or in csh or wherever they appear.

I still remember very well how I got the quotes working in one of my csh
scripts and what a shock it was when the thing didn't work on another Unix
system.
If you compare Emacs' conventions with csh's they ARE intuitive :=). See
the following lines from the above mentioned csh script:

eval echo csh -c \'\"\'\""(nice $ni $SHELL /usr/tmp/Batch"\"\''$$'\'\"" $out &)"\"\'\"\' )\
--
Piet* van Oostrum, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University,
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands.