[comp.emacs] <None>

ckclark@athena.mit.edu (Calvin Clark) (01/23/91)

Sometime back, someone posted the location of a place where I could
get patches to gnuemacs which would enable 8-bit input and output,
thereby enabling foreign character sets.  I would appreciate it very
much if someone could remind me of where I can get them.  Reply by
e-mail, please:

INTERNET: ckclark@athena.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!mit-eddie!mit-athena!ckclark
--
The Hammer

monnie@mike.BELLCORE.COM (Monnie Shambayati) (01/31/91)

Hi folks:

I am installing emacs 18.55 on sparc 2 machine.   I am getting an error in the
command "temacs -l loadup inc dump".  In the Installation doc. it says that it
is probably because I don't have enough swap space.  I have 32724k of swap
in my machine, isn't that enough?!!  What else could cause this problem?  How
can I find out what the problem is?   Thanks in advance.

+Please use one of the addresses below to reply.  +  Together we stand,       +
+       					  +  Divided we fall!         +
+             ....bellcore!cheetah!monnie or      +     	              +
+             cheetah!monnie@thumper.bellcore.com +	   Pink Floyd         +
+       					  +			      +

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/01/91)

In article <1991Jan30.234205.4599@bellcore.bellcore.com> monnie@mike.BELLCORE.COM (Monnie Shambayati) writes:
   I am installing emacs 18.55 on sparc 2 machine.

Since you're just starting out, you really ought to get and install
the current version, 18.56.  It has some patches already installed
that will get you running under SunOS 4.1.

   I am getting an error in the command "temacs -l loadup inc dump".
   In the Installation doc. it says that it is probably because I
   don't have enough swap space.  I have 32724k of swap in my machine,
   isn't that enough?!!

Are you sure you aren't seeing something more like "pure lisp storage
exhausted"?  If so, then try increasing the value of PURESIZE in
src/config.h.

If you're getting a "Fatal error (6).Abort", then you're seeing the
effects of a bug in the SunOS localtime().  If you can't get 18.56,
then I can mail you a copy of the gnu.emacs.help Frequently Asked
Questions list, in which the fixes are described.

If you're actually running out of swap space during the build, then
try killing some of the other processes running on your machine.  You
may have 32M of swap space configured, but `pstat -s' will tell you
how much is available at any time.  `ps -augx' will tell you what
processes are running, their sizes, and their pids so that you can
nuke them at your convenience.  If you frequently run out of swap
space (building Emacs can't be the only thing that gives you grief!)
then you need to increase your swap space allocation.

ury@cosmos.huji.ac.il (ury segal) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> write:
>2) I only need to use what-line and friends on very, very rare
>   occasions, like once in every two or three months of quite heavy
>   Emacs use for a variety of tasks.  In fact, I didn't remember
>   (what-line) from the last time I used it, so I actually needed to
>   look it up, as described above, to answer your question.  I find it
>   curious that you needed it within the first few hours of beginning
>   to use the editor.  Your working style must be quite different from
>   mine.

I'm a programmer. I need the line numbers 'cause the compiler give
them to me to tell me where the errors are.

Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.

--ury

               LONG LIVE ROCK'N'ROLL

xiaoy@bullet.ecf.toronto.edu (XIAO Yan) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.142750.9342@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@cosmos.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:
>Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
>because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
>the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.
                                                             ^^

Who the hell made you use vi?  We should vote him as UN Sec'y General.

Xiao

salte@milton.u.washington.edu (Guess who) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.142750.9342@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@cosmos.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

   In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> write:
   >2) I only need to use what-line and friends on very, very rare
   >   occasions, like once in every two or three months of quite heavy
   >   Emacs use for a variety of tasks.  In fact, I didn't remember
   >   (what-line) from the last time I used it, so I actually needed to
   >   look it up, as described above, to answer your question.  I find it
   >   curious that you needed it within the first few hours of beginning
   >   to use the editor.  Your working style must be quite different from
   >   mine.

   I'm a programmer. I need the line numbers 'cause the compiler give
   them to me to tell me where the errors are.
--
You don't need to know the line numbers, what you need is the ability to
move point (cursor or whatever you call it) to that line number. EMACS offer

	1) An environment where the editor can move to the position in
	the source file where your error was found. Provided that you either
	compile the program in emacs or you read the listing file in some
	buffer and tell emacs that this listing file correspond to the
	source file you are working on.

	2) If you don't have such an environment available, and you don't
	know how to get it, you can use 'goto-line' and give as input
	the line number that the compiler tells you.

	3) (the least desireable solution) go to a random line and ask the
	editor if this line happened to be the line that the compiler
	complained about. I.e. use what-line.

I have no doubt that 3 is the least efficient of these solutions, I would
advice you to reconsider using one of the others.

Also, you spent a long time without finding a simple command as what-line.
This means that you have failed to read the initial information that emacs
displays when you enter it. Where it tells you about C-H T (to get a tutorial)
and C-H I (to get info) C-H A is also a very useful command, you have
obviously not tried C-H, which tells you to press ? for further options
and if so gives an explanation of each command.

--
   Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
   because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
   the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.
--
Wrong, as I said earlier you don't need to know the line number, you need to
get to a specified line. It seems that your problem is that you don't know

		  LONG LIVE ROCK'N'ROLL
Alf

kyle@uunet.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (05/31/91)

ury@cosmos.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:
 > I'm a programmer. I need the line numbers 'cause the compiler give
 > them to me to tell me where the errors are.
 >
 > Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
 > because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
 > the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.

I have to agree.  I'm tired of telling people why they don't want
to see line numbers, and I'm sure they're tired of hearing it.
Emacs ought to be able to display line number at the beginning of
each line.  If we can stand a kludge like selective-display, we
can stand line numbers.  I know that there will be a performance
hit because Emacs line-based internally, but for those who don't
mind paying the price, let 'em pay.

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.142750.9342@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@cosmos.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

| In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> write:
| >2) I only need to use what-line and friends on very, very rare
| >   occasions, like once in every two or three months of quite heavy
| >   Emacs use for a variety of tasks.  In fact, I didn't remember
| >   (what-line) from the last time I used it, so I actually needed to
| >   look it up, as described above, to answer your question.  I find it
| >   curious that you needed it within the first few hours of beginning
| >   to use the editor.  Your working style must be quite different from
| >   mine.
|
| I'm a programmer. I need the line numbers 'cause the compiler give
| them to me to tell me where the errors are.
|
| Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
| because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
| the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.

In Gnu-emacs, to goto a specific line number do:

	M-x goto-line <return>
	<line number> <return>

(or)

	C-U <line-number> M-x goto-line
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

You are in a twisty little passage of standards, all conflicting.

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.214338.11620@uunet.uu.net>, kyle@uunet.uu.net (Kyle Jones) writes:

>I have to agree.  I'm tired of telling people why they don't want
>to see line numbers, and I'm sure they're tired of hearing it.
>Emacs ought to be able to display line number at the beginning of
>each line.  If we can stand a kludge like selective-display, we
>can stand line numbers.  I know that there will be a performance
>hit because Emacs line-based internally, but for those who don't
>mind paying the price, let 'em pay.

                 Emacs Lisp Code Apropos -- "numbers"

disp-ln-nos       88-12-31
     Richard Mlynarik, <wheaties.ai.mit.edu!mly@eddie.mit.edu>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/disp-line.el.Z
     Momentarily display line numbers.
line-numbers      89-02-06
     Wayne Mesard, <Mesard@bbn.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/line-nos.el.Z
     Two approaches to displaying line numbers.
server-num        89-10-26
     Michael S. Balenger, <msb@ho5cad.att.com>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/misc/server-num.el.Z
     fix to server.el to allow line numbers
show-lines        88-12-26
     Nelson Beebe, <Beebe@science.utah.edu>
     tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive/as-is/show-lines.el.Z
     Add and remove line numbers in a buffer.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (06/01/91)

ury> Look, everybody, I ment that EMACS is to complex to people like me, not
ury> because I'm stupid but It's that I don't need all those features. just
ury> the simple one. And the access to them is nod so easy as in vi.

No problem.  I've always said that when it comes to editors (or operating
systems or ...) and religious wars it usually is just a matter of preference.

However, your argument above is very similar to the arguments people used in
discounting multitasking on the Amiga when it was first released (I'm only one
person, so why would I want to do more than one thing at a time?).  After they
learned to use it, though, the same people began wondering how they ever lived
without it.  Leave yourself open to new ideas and new experiences...
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

admin@dcs.exeter.ac.uk (System Administrator) (06/03/91)

ury> I'm a programmer. I need the line numbers 'cause the compiler give
ury> them to me to tell me where the errors are.

If it is standard C compiler error message then like other people have
said that you can use other environments that will get you the line you
want provided you compiled from emacs - typically

	M-x compile

and then using C-x ` to get emacs to place you on the line where the
error is (if you are compiling with many sourec files, this
'parse-error command will also load the files if needed.)  Try also

	M-x grep

The above features combined with M-x goto-line I get by all my
requirements for getting to a specific line but I can understand that
in some cases it would be nice if emacs did infact display line
numbers.  So here is a article I dug up that appeared looong ago.  It
is not perfect but it might help

fist put a small shell script called "peep" in your path somewhere,
peep contains

while [ 1 ]
do
 echo -n x
 sleep $1
done

Then load this...

;; display-line-numbers:  Show line-numbers for an Emacs buffer.
;; Copyright (C) 1989 Wayne Mesard
;;
;; This file is not officially part of GNU EMACS.  But it is being
;; distributed under the terms of the GNU Emacs General Public License.
;; The copyright notice and this notice must be preserved in all copies.

;; Call M-x display-line-nums  to show 'em.
;;      M-x hide-line-nums     to make 'em go away.
;; Or bind these guys to keys in your .emacs file.

;; [N.B.  I haven't tested this rigorously.  It may be buggy.]
;; I will get around to these things eventually.  Other suggestions
;; are welcome.  Mail to Mesard@BBN.COM.   -wsm
;; To do:  [wsm060289]
;;     o Support for line numbers in multiple windows is not adequate.
;;       Things like this should be possible and fool proof:
;;
;;                          +---------------------+
;;                          | 1| GNU, which stands|
;;                          | 2|for Gnu's not Unix|
;;                          | 3|is the name for   |
;;                          | 4|the complete ...  |
;;                          +---------------------+
;;                          |20|I canna change the|
;;                          |21|laws o physics    |
;;                          |22|Cap'n!            |
;;                          +---------------------+
;;
;;     o  Ctrl-X 1 hides the line number window, but doesn't kill
;;        The line-num process.  It should.  (Have the filter function
;;        check for the case when the line num window isn't on screen.)
;;     o  Ctrl-X o should not go to the num buf.
;;     o  Similarly, The *Help* buffer should NOT be allowed to come
;;        up in the line number window!
;;     o  Some function documentation would be nice.

(defvar *win-min-width* 6)
(defvar *line-num-update* 1)
(defvar line-num-process nil)
(defvar *line-num-buf* nil)

(defun display-line-nums ()
  (interactive)
  (if (> window-min-width *win-min-width*)
	(setq window-min-width *win-min-width*))
    (split-window-horizontally *win-min-width*)
    (switch-to-buffer " Line-Numbers" t)
    (setq *line-num-buf* (current-buffer))
    (other-window 1)

    (if (not (and line-num-process
		  (eq (process-status line-num-process) 'run)))
	(progn
	  (setq line-num-process
		(start-process "line-nums" nil "peep"
			       (int-to-string *line-num-update*)))
	  (set-process-sentinel line-num-process 'line-num-sentinel)
	  (set-process-filter line-num-process 'update-when-scrolled)))
	  (process-kill-without-query line-num-process)
    )

(defun line-num-sentinel (ignore reason)
  (hide-line-nums)
  (message "The line number process died unexpectedly: %s." reason))

(defun hide-line-nums ()
  (interactive)
  (if (and line-num-process
	   (eq (process-status line-num-process) 'run))
      (progn
	(set-process-sentinel line-num-process nil)
	(delete-process line-num-process)))
  (let ((first-window (current-buffer))
	(first-time t))
    (while (or (not (eq first-window (current-buffer)))
	       first-time)
      (setq first-time nil)
      (if (eq *line-num-buf* (current-buffer))
	  (delete-window)
	(other-window 1)))
    ))

(defvar prev-top -99)

(defun update-when-scrolled (ignore ignore)
  "When window has been scrolled, do something."
  (save-excursion
      (move-to-window-line 0)
      (if (and (not (eq (current-buffer) *line-num-buf*))
	       (/= (point) prev-top))
	  (let* ((cur-line-num  (count-lines (point-min) (point)))
		 (i (+ cur-line-num (window-height))))
	    (setq prev-top (point))
	    (other-window -1)
	    (if (eq (current-buffer) *line-num-buf*)
		(progn
		  (newline (goto-line i))
		  (while (> i cur-line-num)
		    (setq i (1- i))
		    (forward-line -1)
		    (if (looking-at "$")
			(progn
			  (if (< i 10)
			      (insert "  ")
			    (if (< i 100)
				(insert ?\040)))
			  (insert (int-to-string i))))
		    )
		  (move-to-window-line 0)
		  (scroll-up (- i (count-lines (point-min) (point))))
		  (move-to-window-line 0)
		  ))
	    (other-window 1))
	)))