[comp.emacs] Choosing an editor.

cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu (Health Registry) (06/05/91)

EMACS editor for the new operating system.  I used UNIPRESS EMACS with DOS
but was never satisfied because of file size limitations memory limitations
etc.  I would like to be able to view my directory launch compilers, edit
files of any size, etc.

Any opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

 Kerry Sesker                             cmdses@pmvax.weeg.uiowa.edu
 Center for Health Effects of Environmental Contamination
 s426 WestLawn
 University of Iowa --  Iowa City, Iowa 52242

petrilli@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (06/05/91)

Kerry Sesker writes:

   EMACS editor for the new operating system.  I used UNIPRESS EMACS with DOS
   but was never satisfied because of file size limitations memory limitations
   etc.  I would like to be able to view my directory launch compilers, edit
   files of any size, etc.

   Any opinions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm... If you could tell us which OS you are using (new OS doesn't
help me), we might be able to help.  I'm going to suggest GNU Emacs if
at all possible, since it is the ONE and ONLY TRUE EMAS.  The rest
(Gosling/UniPress included) are close, but not quite there... they are
missing the FULLBLOWN Lisp environment, GC and all.

Chris
--

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (06/06/91)

>help me), we might be able to help.  I'm going to suggest GNU Emacs if
>at all possible, since it is the ONE and ONLY TRUE EMAS.

Your confusion is matched only by your spelling.  If any emacs is the "true"
emacs, then it's the original PDP-10 implementation.

>  The rest
>(Gosling/UniPress included) are close, but not quite there... they are
>missing the FULLBLOWN Lisp environment, GC and all.

You're joking, right?  The PDP-10 implementation spoke TECO.  According to
my memory and all accounts I've read, Gosmacs predated gnumacs, and therefore
mocklisp predated elisp.

I recall reading statements ascribed to RMS that indicated that early versions
of gnumacs even used some of Gosling's code.

Gnumacs is a fine peice of work, but it's not the Deity.   It's also a huge
binary.
--

  Fly to the sky on GI-GI____________ and shout to
datri@convex.com

petrilli@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Chris Petrilli) (06/06/91)

Anthony A. Datri writes:

   >help me), we might be able to help.  I'm going to suggest GNU
   >Emacs if at all possible, since it is the ONE and ONLY TRUE EMAS.

   Your confusion is matched only by your spelling.  If any emacs is
   the "true" emacs, then it's the original PDP-10 implementation.

I do believe that GNU Emacs is the Emacs as it was always intended to
be.  Simply because something is the orginal version does not make it
the TRUE version.  If it was, I believe RMS would use Emacs on a
PDP-10, but instead he uses GNU Emacs v18.57 I believe (he may use v19
by now).  It is really not worth arguing about... I used to use TECO,
and while it was wonderful (definately a step up from that
god-forsaken KED under RT-11), I would not go back to it.  It does,
however, make for nice quick macros.  I believe that sometime in the
future, GNU Emacs will contains the full TECO implementation.  Since
RMS wrote GNU Emacs (primarily), I consider it the REAL Emacs.

   >  The rest (Gosling/UniPress included) are close, but not quite
   >  there... they are missing the FULLBLOWN Lisp environment, GC and
   >  all.

   You're joking, right?  The PDP-10 implementation spoke TECO.
   According to my memory and all accounts I've read, Gosmacs predated
   gnumacs, and therefore mocklisp predated elisp.

But MACLisp predates tehm all, and that is basically what Elisp is
derived from.

   I recall reading statements ascribed to RMS that indicated that
   early versions of gnumacs even used some of Gosling's code.

I do believe this was true for a short period of time, until the
sections of code could be rewritten, but then again BSD contains AT&T
code, does that make it the same?

   Gnumacs is a fine peice of work, but it's not the Deity.  It's also
   a huge binary.

Unfortunately, the Lisp environment does enlarge Emacs, but I do think
the effort is worth it.  Also, since I only load Emacs at most 1 time
per day, the size isn't a problem (interesting note: on a Sequent
Balance, it takes only 2 minutes to load Emacs, but on an HP 9000/350
it takes about 15 secs, hmmm....).  Also, it is GNU Emacs, not Gnumacs
:-).

Chris