[comp.emacs] EMACS ??? <---> VI !!!

ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) (05/30/91)

Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !  _Much_ better for me
right now. And emacs don't let me use my mouse (I'm running X), and epoch
let me, but not on the standart way.
I know that EMACS is great, have meny meny features. SO WHAT. I can't
use them easily.

--ury
(By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (05/30/91)

(Please, let's not start a "my editor is better than yours" flamewar!)

In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:
   (By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

You didn't mention what version of Emacs you were trying to use, so
I'll answer from the perspective of a GNU Emacs user.  I said "M-x
apropos line", searched the resulting *Help* buffer for the string
"number", and quickly found

	what-line
	  Function: Print the current line number (in the buffer) of point.

Is that what you wanted?

(Two observations:
1) Could you have found it that quickly in vi's on-line documentation?
   (oops, I promised not to start a catfight :-)
2) I only need to use what-line and friends on very, very rare
   occasions, like once in every two or three months of quite heavy
   Emacs use for a variety of tasks.  In fact, I didn't remember
   (what-line) from the last time I used it, so I actually needed to
   look it up, as described above, to answer your question.  I find it
   curious that you needed it within the first few hours of beginning
   to use the editor.  Your working style must be quite different from
   mine.
)

carroll@cs.uiuc.edu (Alan M. Carroll) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

> Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
> number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !

Way cool dude. Personally, I use vi _and_ Emacs*. This is one of the
great things about this country, that we have editor-ial freedom, to
use whatever editor we choose.

> (By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

In Epoch, you can put the following in your startup file, and holding
down shift and clicking the left mouse button on the line will tell
you the line number.

(defun amc:mouse-buffer-line (marg)

  "Show the line number and buffer of the mouse EVENT"

  ;; marg is (point buffer window screen)
  ;; Pop over to the clicked buffer
  (save-excursion (set-buffer (cadr marg))
    ;; Figure out how far down the mouse point is
    (let ((n (count-lines (point-min) (car marg))))
      ;; display it. Include the buffer name for good measure.
      (message (format "Line %d in %s" n (buffer-name (cadr marg))))
)))

;; Bind shift left down to display the line number.
(global-set-mouse mouse-left mouse-shift 'amc:mouse-buffer-line)

*Epoch, really, but it's effectively the same thing. In fact, I was a
dedicated vi user until I wrote Epoch. Yes, it's true, Epoch 1 and 2
were developed using vi. You heard it here first.

--
Alan M. Carroll          <-- Another casualty of applied metaphysics
Epoch Development Team

sane@cs.uiuc.edu (Aamod Sane) (05/30/91)

ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

>Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
>number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !  _Much_ better for me
>right now. And emacs don't let me use my mouse (I'm running X), and epoch
>let me, but not on the standart way.
>I know that EMACS is great, have meny meny features. SO WHAT. I can't
>use them easily.

>--ury
>(By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

There is a vi emulation for emacs that provides all the vi/ex command set
(barring a few obscure things). It is called vip.el and was posted on
gnu.emacs.sources a few weeks ago. There is a newer version, and you can
send email to me for that version. I'll be posting it one of these days.

Incidentally, that shows that complexity of emacs does pay off. Not that one
should use the vi emulation simply because you did not succceed in finding the
what-line function. (Once vi was mentioned, I could not resist..) .
One thing to do probably is to learn how to use the help
and info in emacs.

Cheers,

	Aamod
--
sane@cs.uiuc.edu
         ==         / \

hymowitz@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric B. Hymowitz) (05/31/91)

come on, people, give us a break.
In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

> [vi is] _Much_ better for me
>I can't
>use [emacs' meny meny [sic] features] easily.

note the important word - i and me.
i have my favorite editor - vi.
emacs is more powerful; on my system, it is slower and more costly (we have
limited cpu usage per day at jhu)
emacs has a lot of useful functions, but i can live without most.

(important word - i)

each of us finds his favorite editor.  we have no more right to comment on
somebody's favorite editor than on their religion, girlfriend, or
favorite radio program.

let's discuss some serious issues, now.

--hymie

muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) (05/31/91)

ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

>Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
>number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !  _Much_ better for me
>right now. And emacs don't let me use my mouse (I'm running X), and epoch
>let me, but not on the standart way.
>I know that EMACS is great, have meny meny features. SO WHAT. I can't
>use them easily.

No problem. It depends on what you do. If you do only simple things, you don;t
need a complex editor whith many features. But if you write programs often
it sure is worthwhile to spend 1 full day reading and practicing the entire
manual. By the way the mouse can be used for sure, but you must have
emacs in an X-window, not in an xterm.

>--ury
>(By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

No idea :-) Never needed that until now. But look in the glossary of the
--
Peter Mutsaers                          email:    muts@fys.ruu.nl
Rijksuniversiteit Utrecht                         muts@fysak.fys.ruu.nl

kyle@uunet.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (05/31/91)

ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:
 > Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
 > number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !  _Much_ better for me
 > right now. And emacs don't let me use my mouse (I'm running X), and epoch
 > let me, but not on the standart way.

Standard way?!  Standard way!?  My God!  My God!  My God!

robertsr@cs.unca.edu (Ralph Roberts) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.124131.4679@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> ury@mosque.huji.ac.il (ury segal) writes:

>Look. EMACS is too complex. I tryed to find How to get the current line
>number for 1/4 hour And I couldn't. SO I USE VI !  _Much_ better for me
>right now. And emacs don't let me use my mouse (I'm running X), and epoch
>let me, but not on the standart way.
>I know that EMACS is great, have meny meny features. SO WHAT. I can't
>use them easily.

>--ury
>(By the way, How you get the current line number ?)

Dear Ury, to get the current line number  in Emacs, simply  type Esc x
what-line or (using the  Meta key) M-x  what-line. The current  line's
number is shown in the echo area at the bottom of the screen.

As to making Emacs a good  deal less complex,  I am immodest enough to
recommend THE UNIX DESKTOP GUIDE TO EMACS by myself and Dr. Mark Boyd.
The book will be out in August from Howard W. Sams.

Emacs--whether it be  GNU, Freemacs, UniPress, Epsilon, MicroEmacs, or
any of the  other delicious   flavors of  the world's  greatest   text
editor--is MUCH more powerful than vi and (once you get into it) a lot
friendlier and easier to use. Unfortunately, the manuals (assuming you
were lucky enough to get one)  are often  cryptic at best,  as witness
your problem in   trying to find some   as simple as the  current line
number. So Mark and I wrote a  book  about how  to use Emacs in "real"
English for "real" people ;-). We are very proud  of it and feel it is
a service that has been long needed.

Good luck with Emacs.                             --Ralph

--
Ralph Roberts  author@cs.unca.edu    |    The Unix Desktop Guide to Emacs
               Asheville, N.C.       |      Compute!'s Computer Viruses

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (06/07/91)

>emacs is more powerful; on my system, it is slower and more costly (we have
>limited cpu usage per day at jhu)

Which emacs?  Microemacs is a smaller binary than vi on every machine for which
I've ever built it.

--

  Fly to the sky on GI-GI____________ and shout to
datri@convex.com