[comp.emacs] Elisp archive

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/04/91)

In article <PFEIFFER.91Jun3101236@cix.cict.fr>, pfeiffer@cix.cict.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:

>I got two or three requests for ftp sites where one can find this
>package.  Not having ftp access myself, I have no idea, maybe the
>FSF takes care of this.

Here's the README file from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu:
/pub/gnu/emacs/elisp-archive.  This is a volunteer effort not
associated with the Free Software Foundation.  Dave Brennan,
brennan@dg-rtp.dg.com, is helping me by maintaining the LCD and
placing the files in the archive.

                      Emacs Lisp Archive README

Last Update: August 21, 1990

General Information

    This archive contains various pieces and packages of Emacs Lisp
code.  Emacs Lisp is the language used to extend the GNU Emacs editor
published by the Free Software Foundation.  Although much Emacs Lisp
code is included in the GNU Emacs distribution, many people have
written packages to interface with other systems, to better support
editing the programming language they use, to add new features, or to
change Emacs' default behavior.  Most of the contents of this archive
have been written by individuals and distributed publicly over the
Internet through the info-emacs or info-gnu-emacs mailing lists or the
comp.emacs or gnu.emacs newsgroups.

Before the Emacs Lisp Archive existed, there was the Lisp Code
Directory, or LCD.  The LCD is a flat-file database of Emacs Lisp
code.  Unlike the Archive, the Directory *does* include references to
the Emacs Lisp distributed with GNU Emacs.  An elisp support package
called lispdir has been provided to interface with the LCD.  With this
package installed, it's a simple matter to determine if a package is
available to meet a particular need.

The Lisp Code Directory datafile is in LCD-datafile.Z.  Documentation
for the Lisp Code Directory is in lispdir.doc.Z.

Archive Format

All of the files in the archive are compressed.

Most files are Emacs Lisp code and their names end in ".el.Z".

Some shar files, patches, etc, are in the "misc" and "as-is/misc"
subdirectories.

The archives are maintained by Dave Sill.  Send questions, comments,
and submissions to de5@ornl.gov.

			   NO WARRANTY

  BECAUSE THE EMACS LISP ARCHIVE IS PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE, WE
PROVIDE ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE
STATE LAW.  EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING, OHIO STATE
UNIVERSITY, DAVID E. SILL AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE EMACS LISP
ARCHIVE CODE "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  THE ENTIRE RISK
AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE CODE IS WITH YOU.  SHOULD
EMACS LISP ARCHIVE CODE PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL
NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

 IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW WILL OHIO STATE
UNIVERSITY, DAVID E. SILL, AND/OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND
REDISTRIBUTE EMACS LISP ARCHIVE CODE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES,
INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST MONIES, OR OTHER SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL
OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE
(INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED
INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE
CODE TO OPERATE WITH CODE NOT DISTRIBUTED BY THE EMACS LISP ARCHIVE)
THE CODE, EVEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY OTHER PARTY.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/04/91)

In article <PFEIFFER.91Jun3101236@cix.cict.fr>, pfeiffer@cix.cict.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:
   I got two or three requests for ftp sites where one can find this
   package.  Not having ftp access myself, I have no idea, maybe the
   FSF takes care of this.

No, some overworked, understaffed, but good-hearted people at Ohio
State provide the access; after Daves Brennan and Sill provide the
organization.  The Emacs Lisp Archive contents are available, along
with all the FSF's released GNU software, via anonymous FTP from
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu or via anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.  Write to
uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu (== osu-cis!uucp) for instructions if you need
them.

pd@pd@x.co.uk (Paul Davey) (06/06/91)

-> No, some overworked, understaffed, but good-hearted people at Ohio
-> State provide the access; after Daves Brennan and Sill provide the
-> organization.  The Emacs Lisp Archive contents are available, along
-> with all the FSF's released GNU software, via anonymous FTP from
-> tut.cis.ohio-state.edu or via anonymous UUCP from osu-cis.  Write to
-> uucp@cis.ohio-state.edu (== osu-cis!uucp) for instructions if you need
-> them.

But are there any plans for a mail server for those of us with no ftp
or easy uucp access?

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.

karl.kleinpaste@osc.edu (06/07/91)

pd@pd@x.co.uk writes:
   But are there any plans for a mail server for those of us with no ftp
   or easy uucp access?

You have GOT to be kidding.

Cf. assorted flamewars in comp.mail.misc, comp.mail.uucp, and
news.admin over the last 6 months or so.  Lately, subject "BITFTP
grief."  Becoming one's worst enemy is in bad taste.

Major kinky From:, by the way...

--karl