[comp.emacs] How do I get RFC articles?

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun19.005837.21993@cbfsb.att.com> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

   #From: sahayman@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Steve Hayman)
   #Newsgroups: alt.sources
   #Subject: retrieve RFC's automatically from uunet
   #Date: 11 Apr 91 22:22:30 GMT
   #
   #I find this little script handy, it retrieves RFC's automatically
   #from uunet via anonymous ftp and sticks them on stdout.
   #So, instead of keeping your own little collection of RFCs
   #hidden away somewhere and forgetting what directory you
   #put them in, you can just use
   #
   #% rfc index | more

I'm shocked that Dan, rarely one to miss a chance to proselytize for
GNU Emacs, didn't mention ange-ftp.el and crypt.el.  Ange-ftp.el
manages FTP connections, transparently associating buffers in a local
Emacs with files on remote machines.  It's one of my favorite tools
for editing files on IP-accessible machines without reasonable
editors, or on those on which I have no personal account, or when I'd
rather get the response time of using a local application.  Crypt.el
can uncompress (local or remote) files as they're read and recompress
them as they're written.

If I tell my Emacs "C-x C-f /ftp.uu.net:/rfc/rfc874$", ange-ftp opens
an anonymous FTP connection to UUNET (since I have a line like
"machine ftp.uu.net login anonymous password bob@morningstar.com" in
my ~/.netrc), gets a directory listing, and completes the "rfc874.Z".
As the file is "read" into my buffer, crypt.el notes from its magic
number that it's compressed, and passes it through "compress -d"
before showing it to me.

I've solved some icky problems in my own networking code by browsing
the examples in the uunet:bsd-sources/ directories, using ange-ftp and
dired and friends.

All this stuff is, of course, available from the Elisp Archives via
anonymous FTP from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu or via anonymous UUCP from
osu-cis.

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (06/20/91)

Bob> If I tell my Emacs "C-x C-f /ftp.uu.net:/rfc/rfc874$", ange-ftp opens
Bob> an anonymous FTP connection to UUNET (since I have a line like
Bob> "machine ftp.uu.net login anonymous password bob@morningstar.com" in
Bob> my ~/.netrc), gets a directory listing, and completes the "rfc874.Z".

Bob's right, folks.  And furthermore, you can set this variable to t
(=true):

ange-ftp-generate-anonymous-password's value is t

Documentation:
*If non-nil, by default use a password of user@host when logging
in as the anonymous user.