[comp.emacs] SUMMARY: Super-simple UNIX editor

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (06/19/91)

J> I don't want to get into a religious editor flamewar, but I find it
J> necessary to point out that since GNU emacs is pretty much
J> completely customizable and programmable, you can turn it into a
J> simple editor with only basic commands accepted (and it IS possible
J> to make it do function keys, arrow keys, etc.  fairly easily), and
J> disable the features that you don't want beginners to stumble over,
J> and then give make that simplified version of emacs your default.
J> The users who grow out of the simple set-up can then recustomize
J> things to get a more powerful emacs environment.

John's right.  Look, full driver seat air-bag protection:
-----actual screen dump----:
You have typed C-x n, invoking disabled command narrow-to-region:
Restrict editing in this buffer to the current region.
The rest of the text becomes temporarily invisible and untouchable
but is not deleted; if you save the buffer in a file, the invisible
text is included in the file.  C-x w makes all visible again.

You can now type
Space to try the command just this once,
      but leave it disabled,
Y to try it and enable it (no questions if you use it again),
N to do nothing (command remains disabled).
---------------------------
See, GNU Emacs is your friend.  Anyway, in the long run it doesn't
matter if you use its native emacs keybindings (an 804-line on-line
tutorial is included) or one of its vi emulations, etc... mere
inputting details... either way try to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome /
tendonitis while you're doing any typing over many years.

What impressed my a lot as a beginner was that nobody could take away
all those megabytes of source code from me---so I knew I could take my
GNU Emacs knowledge around with me and not worry too much about that
big investment in learning going to waste... I'd just recompile on the
next machine... anyway, this is one deep down long-term motivation...
protecting ones' personal learning investment.

Others have felt the same way, so we have all joined together and
added features, making the GNU Emacs world as rich as it is today.

In article <1991Jun19.013030.23227@cbfsb.att.com> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:

>What impressed my a lot as a beginner was that nobody could take away
>all those megabytes of source code from me---so I knew I could take my
>GNU Emacs knowledge around with me and not worry too much about that
>big investment in learning going to waste... I'd just recompile on the
>next machine... anyway, this is one deep down long-term motivation...
>protecting ones' personal learning investment.

OK, nobody is going to argue that GNU Emacs is a poor choice for a
computer professional.  But.... If you ever had to work on a PC
or a machine as slow as the early 3B2's, or one that didn't have
a compiler and many megs of disk space available, even you might
reconsider.

>Others have felt the same way, so we have all joined together and
>added features, making the GNU Emacs world as rich as it is today.

But do you really think it is suitable for someone who only wants
to answer a mail message and has no intention of using any other
functionality?  Suppose you wanted to exchange email with some
member of your family that had no previous experience with computers.
Would you buy a computer capable of running GNU emacs and train
them on it or would you go with something a little less "rich"?

Has anyone seen the new screen editor that comes with MSDOS 5.0?
Without seeing it, I'll venture the opinion that it is the one
to emulate.  Regardless of features or lack thereof, within a
year or two more people will have it than any other screen editor
and if it has the few basic functions that people have been asking
for in this thread, unlike edlin it will actually be used.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.192526.21975@chinet.chi.il.us>, les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
|> In article <1991Jun19.013030.23227@cbfsb.att.com> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
|>
|> >What impressed my a lot as a beginner was that nobody could take away
|> >all those megabytes of source code from me---so I knew I could take my
|> >GNU Emacs knowledge around with me and not worry too much about that
|> >big investment in learning going to waste... I'd just recompile on the
|> >next machine... anyway, this is one deep down long-term motivation...
|> >protecting ones' personal learning investment.
|>
|> OK, nobody is going to argue that GNU Emacs is a poor choice for a
|> computer professional.  But.... If you ever had to work on a PC
|> or a machine as slow as the early 3B2's, or one that didn't have
|> a compiler and many megs of disk space available, even you might
|> reconsider.

Sigh... That's not it.  Before I came back school for this silly grad degree,
I was a aerospace engineer for five years and I worked first at  Bell Helicopter
and later North American Avaiation, Rockwell International.  Both are primier
aviation companies.

At both places, MIS/technical computing control everything, even workstaions
owned by my group (bought using group's budget).  No one can be a root unless you
are from MIS/technical computing dept.  So this "carrying my learning investment"
can be only realized in certain fields.  Absolutely NOT possible at many many
places :-(

Per my colleague at Rockwell International, only until one month ago, my group's
6Mhz IBM PC/AT with 30 Megs HD was replaced by a stupid IBM PS/2 55SX.  Now
this is the company which designed/made the space shuttle main engine and the
star war satellite killer missles.  And my group was heavily involved in both.
Now if anyone tells me to build GNU emacs on a PS/2 55 SX, I may burst in
uncontrollable laugh....:-(

As a student UNIX SA now, with Giga bytes at my disposal, I do routinely build
monster pkgs.  But people, this is, in my opinion, an exception rather than rules.

Conclusions:  Don't depend anything big and requires root privilage to install.
              => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO FSF GNU emacs.
                                ^^^^^^^^^

I do use emacs/vi/crisp/ed/xedit/textedit/..... just to prepare the day when
I am no longer a super user :-(

Sincerely,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (06/21/91)

Chin> Conclusions: Don't depend anything big and requires root
Chin> privilage to install.  => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO
Chin> FSF GNU emacs.

You don't need to be root to install and edit things with GNU Emacs.

dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk (Matthew Farwell) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.235116.3132@cbfsb.att.com> Dan_Jacobson@ihlpz.ATT.COM writes:
>Chin> Conclusions: Don't depend anything big and requires root
>Chin> privilage to install.  => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO
>Chin> FSF GNU emacs.
>Minor correction: GNU Emacs does not require root privilege to
>install.

$ ftp ftp.uu.net
ftp> mget emacs.tar.Z
255 You must be joking - on your quota!!!!!

Dylan.
--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
	But you're wrong Steve. You see, its only solitaire.

fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.012239.4994@cbfsb.att.com>, Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

|> Chin> Conclusions: Don't depend anything big and requires root
|> Chin> privilage to install.  => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO
|> Chin> FSF GNU emacs.
|>
|> You don't need to be root to install and edit things with GNU Emacs.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^

Hmmm... I never said that one needed root privilage to "edit" things with emacs.
You misunderstood me post.

As a SA myself, I said "installing emacs requires root privilage" with the
following understanding:

Whenever BIG disk space is required, root privilage (at least stuff or source
privilage) is required.  I have had a quite interesting discussion with Thomas
at MIT regarding this point.

May I ask you, can anyone at your site write to /usr/local?
               can everyone at your site have more than 20 megs disk quota?
               (and that's just sufficient to decompress and build this thing)

At our site, a typical user has only four megs, I don't think this is even good
for holding the compressed GNU emacs distribution.  I routinely build emacs
for our four platforms, DECs, IBMs, SUNs,  MIPs, I said "root privilage" required
out of practical considerations.

Let me mention a few more facts regarding sizes:

Compressed/fully built 386 version of emacs and friends require somewhere like
four megs.  The binary is like 0.6 megs after everything is strip(1)-ed and
mcs(1) -d -ed.  For Suns/DECs, it's like 0.8~0.9 Megs.  For RISC 6000s, the
dumped version requires 1.7 Megs!  This is just the emacs executable itself!

As another perhaps interesting point here:  If you build emacs on a system
using Berkeley Fast File System (FFS), then a file system's last 10% (?) can be
only written to by root.  An example, say your /usr has 100 megs, and it has
30 megs free space left, and say you are a common user trying to build emacs
in this file system, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO, for the reason given above.

I do agree with you that by itself, GNU emacs never dictates you where to put it's
support files, but if you are (or were) a SA, would you put all emacs stuff in
one directory?  If during account checking, I find someone put a complete
emacs in his/her $HOME, I would ask this user why, and why indeed.

Now I hope my point is clear.  Emacs is a great editor (in fact a great interface
too, and I often have the suspicision that RMS wants to run UNIX as unix.el
or unix.elc in it someday :-)

igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk (Ian G Batten) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.040309.26255@leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin@leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
> As a SA myself, I said "installing emacs requires root privilage" with the
> following understanding:

Wow.  He's an SA.  He must be right.  I've installed emacs without being
root several times.

> Whenever BIG disk space is required, root privilage (at least stuff or source
> privilage) is required.  I have had a quite interesting discussion with Thomas
> at MIT regarding this point.

And I've spoken to another man to whom you can say Wow.  Hint: not
everyone runs BSD.  And of those that do, not everyone runs quotas.  And
of those that do, not everyone has quotas so small you can't build
emacs.

> May I ask you, can anyone at your site write to /usr/local?

Why would they need to?  I've built emacs in /usr/igb before now.

>                can everyone at your site have more than 20 megs disk
quota?

Yes.  And everywhere I've been.

>                (and that's just sufficient to decompress and build this thing)

What else would you want to do with it?

And anyway, if you know someone who has the same machine-type as you,
they can compile it and give you a binary.  My bare-essentials tape that
I use on all the machines we used to build has emacs in about 1.8M (by
deleting all the .el files for which you have a .elc, etc).

> At our site, a typical user has only four megs, I don't think this is even good
> for holding the compressed GNU emacs distribution.  I routinely build emacs
> for our four platforms, DECs, IBMs, SUNs,  MIPs, I said "root privilage" required
> out of practical considerations.

Right.  ``Because my system is so tightly regulated that I can't build
emacs without being root, neither can anyone else anywhere.''

> As another perhaps interesting point here:  If you build emacs on a system
> using Berkeley Fast File System (FFS), then a file system's last 10% (?) can be
> only written to by root.  An example, say your /usr has 100 megs, and it has
> 30 megs free space left, and say you are a common user trying to build emacs
> in this file system, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO, for the reason given above.

Right.  And if you're an SA who believes that root SHOULD write in the
10% reserve, I suggest you read a manual or two.

> one directory?  If during account checking, I find someone put a complete
> emacs in his/her $HOME, I would ask this user why, and why indeed.

You poke around in your user's directories?  My, what a fine SA you are.
Do your users know?

ian

jimp@cognos.UUCP (Jim Patterson) (06/21/91)

>|> Chin> Conclusions: Don't depend anything big and requires root
>|> Chin> privilage to install.  => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO
>|> Chin> FSF GNU emacs.
>|>
>|> You don't need to be root to install and edit things with GNU Emacs.
>                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^

>Hmmm... I never said that one needed root privilage to "edit" things with emacs.
>You misunderstood me post.

>As a SA myself, I said "installing emacs requires root privilage" with the
>following understanding:

>Whenever BIG disk space is required, root privilage (at least stuff or source
>privilage) is required.
>May I ask you, can anyone at your site write to /usr/local

Yes

>               can everyone at your site have more than 20 megs disk quota?

Yes

We don't bother with disk quotas at our site. I know this isn't a feasible
approach at many educational sites, but it works quite well in a software
development environment.

Your site seems to have two classes of users:
 - Those with 4MByte disk quotas
 - Those with root privilege

All you're really saying is that you need lots of disk space. If your
operations group can't give someone some additional disk quota without
just giving them root privilege, I think you have a serious organizational
problem.

Granted you will likely have to "justify" your request, but the basic
problem is one of economics (you can't afford unlimited disk space).
I'd also suggest that it is (or should be) a lot easier to justify 20
MBytes of disk space to your system manager than it is to justify root
privilege, since the latter is basically giving away the keys to the
store. Of course if you can convince your sysops to maintain emacs
for you, all the better.

--
Jim Patterson                              Cognos Incorporated
UUNET:uunet!cognos.uucp!jimp               P.O. BOX 9707

gaynor@brushfire.rutgers.edu (Silver) (06/22/91)

fangchin@leland.stanford.edu writes:
> At both places, MIS/technical computing control everything, even workstaions
> owned by my group (bought using group's budget).  No one can be a root unless
> you are from MIS/technical computing dept.

Who needs to be root, anyway?  As long as the space and cpu cycles are
available...

> 6Mhz IBM PC/AT with 30 Megs HD was replaced by a stupid IBM PS/2 55SX.

This is my opinion only, not a statement of fact.  Your MIS/group leaders have
a pretty screwed up idea of what a productive development environment looks
like.  Jeepers, do you have any idea of how many mips and megs you can get
nowadays for a few grand?  Ok, well, neither do I.  I know enough that for
about $5k, I could probably wind up with an Sparc SLC with a couple hundred
megs.

> Conclusions:
>   Don't depend anything big and requires root privilage to install.
>   => super simplity/smallness is MUST => NO FSF GNU emacs.

Simplicity/smallness (ie optimized for space, speed, and simplicity) is right
for the tiny little embedded systems.  This is totally unacceptable for a human
environment -- humans benefit greatly from a little extra effort.  Computers
and peripherals are becoming so cheap that there is very little reason to
skimp.  How much does a 10 mip processor cost nowadays?  A quality 300 meg
disk?  Thinnet cable, per foot?  Consider this cost relative to improved
productivity.  It _is_ reasonable for me to say that developers spend most of
their time tapping at an editor, right?  Suppose one person can work 5% faster
because they have a superior editor at their disposal?  Suppose five people
work 5% faster?  YOU're a scientific type, YOU do the analysis.

Regards, [Ag]