[comp.bugs.2bsd] Help getting BSD2.10 on a system without a 1600 BPI tape...

kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) (02/04/88)

I have run into a major snag with trying to get BSD2.10 for my lonely
PDP11/23+ in the operating systems lab and need a kind soul to help out.

My delima, I want to order BSD2.10, for that matter, I already have
Departmental approval to do just that, so I called Usenix to find out if I
can get 2.10 on anything other than 1600 BPI tape, the answer was a firm no,
not even on 800 BPI tape.  Well, fine, I can still get the source and
download it to my MicroVax II, and wait for it too find its way across the
ethernet connection to the PDP, which is currently running Xinu, but I don't
think that even with a little help from entry that this will happen in my
lifetime 8-).

So the request is...  Can someone make me a bootable distribution on any of
the following antique equipment...  RX01, RX02, RX50, RL01, RL02, RK05, or
possibly, I can mail someone my RD52, and let them mail it back with an OS.
I really need just a bare minimum kernel, and then I can build things up
over the ethernet.

Any help more be very greatly appreciated, I mean Xinu is really fun to
learn with, but kind of a pain to do a major project with.

-kdb
--
Kevin D. Bond
kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu

casey@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (02/05/88)

In article <1445@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) writes:
> [Kevin has an 11/23+, but no 1600BPI tape drive to boot 2.10BSD with.]
> So the request is...  Can someone make me a bootable distribution on any
> of the following antique equipment...  RX01, RX02, RX50, RL01, RL02,
> RK05, or possibly, I can mail someone my RD52, and let them mail it back
> with an OS.  I really need just a bare minimum kernel, and then I can
> build things up over the ethernet.

  Sorry I'm not going to be able to offer to do this for you myself, but
my recommendation is that you go with the RD52 route you mentioned last.
It will be the easiest way to go for both you and the person who helps
you out.  The next easiest route would be to go for an RL01/02 assuming
you have one of those devices.  You will regret trying to do this via any
form of floppy media.

  However, the really nasty part of this is that none of it will do you
any good at all since the 11/23+ doesn't have split I&D if I remember
correctly (unfortunately I don't have my PDP book with me here).  If I'm
wrong about that, go ahead with your plans.  If I'm not though, you're
going to have to wait for the non-split I&D distribution. (Roman, any
estimate on when you'll have that done?)

Casey

news@udenva.cair.du.edu (netnews) (02/20/88)

In article <3281@lll-winken.llnl.gov> casey@lll-crg.llnl.gov.UUCP (Casey Leedom) writes:
>In article <1445@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> kdb@cscosl.ncsu.edu (Kevin D. Bond) writes:
>> [Kevin has an 11/23+, but no 1600BPI tape drive to boot 2.10BSD with.]
>my recommendation is that you go with the RD52 route you mentioned last.
>  However, the really nasty part of this is that none of it will do you
>any good at all since the 11/23+ doesn't have split I&D if I remember
>correctly (unfortunately I don't have my PDP book with me here).

Yes, you remember correctly, the 11/23+ and 11/23 are pre I&D days CPUs.
If you want to upgrade to an I&D class CPU, the cheapest is the 11/53, which is
simply an 11/73 with the cache removed. I don't know if DEC will sell you
this as a board however. You should be able to get an 11/73 new or used without
much trouble. Note that there are some hardware problems in the upgrade with
other boards that don't like the 11/73. If you want more info I'll be glad to
help.

I would like to know more about Xinu. Does it support the memory management
features of the LSI-11 series. I understand it was developed for the 11/2,
with the 16-bit addressing scheme. Can I use my 11/73's with their 4 M address
space?

				Richard Neitzel

clewis@spectrix.UUCP (Chris R. Lewis) (03/01/88)

In article <9817@duorion.cair.du.edu> rneitzel@orion.cair.du.edu.UUCP (RICHARD NEITZEL ) writes:

>Yes, you remember correctly, the 11/23+ and 11/23 are pre I&D days CPUs.

A nit:
	the 11/23+ and 11/23 are pre I&D days QBUS CPUs.
					      ^^^^
There are lots of earlier split I&D PDP 11's.  (eg: 45's, 50's, 70's)
And a few post non-split I&D CPUs (VAX 11/780 compatibility mode :-)
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc,
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis