[comp.bugs.sys5] nroff/mm macro table of contents broken

imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) (01/06/87)

While attempting to use the nroff/troff Document Work Bench pkg from AT&T
to produce a small document, we found that we were unable to produce a table
of contents with the .TC command of the mm macro package. There were about 36
headers of various levels in the document that were all formatted correctly.
However, the .TC command, which is the last line in the document, produced
a page with only the title of "CONTENTS" followed by a blank page with a page
number of "i".

Any ideas on what the problem is? Any and all help would be welcome.

This was tried with the same results on two operating environments:

			AT&T 3b2/310 SVR3
			AT&T 3b2/300 SVR2

name	: IMT (Group Administrator)
email	: (trwrb|scgvaxd)!felix!peregrine!imt3b2!imtsft
internet: ucivax@ucbvax.BERKELY.EDU!ucivax%felix!peregrine!imtsft@imt3b2
Paul Czarnik

was@hplsdlw.HP.COM (William A. Stubblebine) (01/09/87)

imtsft@imt3b2.UUCP (IMT) writes:

> ... we found that we were unable to produce a table
> of contents with the .TC command of the mm macro package.
> Any ideas on what the problem is?

The MM macros manual says to use the Cl register to specify the maximum
level of heading to save for the TC macro.

Try putting this line near the top of your document:

	.nr Cl 3

> Paul Czarnik
                                Bill Stubblebine
                                Hewlett-Packard Logic Systems Div.