[comp.bugs.sys5] Remote File Sharing

monkey@unixprt.UUCP (Monkey Face@unixprt) (01/01/87)

Now that System V, Release 3 has been available for 6 months,
and many vendors are somewhere along the road to porting it to their
systems, how about some discussion on RFS.

Does it work?  How does it compare to NFS?  What transport providers
are people using?  Is anyone going to produce a transport provider
for re-sale to other computer vendors?  Will RFS or NFS become the
de-facto standard?

(NFS and 4.[23]BSD fanciers welcome in the discussion.)

Monkey Face - Uni-xperts, Milpitas, CA

monte@oblio.UUCP (Monte Pickard) (01/04/87)

In article <261@unixprt.UUCP>, monkey@unixprt.UUCP (Monkey Face@unixprt) writes:
> Now that System V, Release 3 has been available for 6 months,....
> ... how about some discussion on RFS.
>
> Does it work?  How does it compare to NFS?  What transport providers
> are people using?  Is anyone going to produce a transport provider
> for re-sale to other computer vendors?  Will RFS or NFS become the
> de-facto standard?

It appears to me that all the vendors that purchase a license to SVR3 get
RFS for free with it, and it is ported to SVR3.

At a cost of $25,000, plus more for later updates, license fees, and the cost
of porting it to SVR3, NFS gets prohibitive fast.

These things may help define the standard.

Also, NFS does not implement the full UNIX file system symantics, so
applications do no port as easily (or transparently).  Also, follow
on charges for NFS versions that will (speculative) get it up to the
full file system symantics will probably cost even more.

Monte Pickard - Counterpoint Computers

mo@seismo.CSS.GOV (Mike O'Dell) (01/04/87)

Sorry guys, RFS is dead meat.  Until you have managed a large collection
of machines, you do not understand the importance of stateless servers,
filesystem semantics be damned (in point of fact, they aren't damaged
very much at all, much hoopla to the contrary).

Many small Unibox vendors will support RFS since they get it for free
with SVR3, but there is also a good NFS port to SVR3 available, too
(see Lachman associates).

The simple fact is that over 150 different Unix system vendors and
builders have *already* gone with NFS, and MANY of those folks
ship SysV boxes.  Even more importantly, with servers for other operating
systems (DEC and IBM) either available or coming, the arguments are
even more compelling.  Which do you think will sell more computers?
Being able to share files between 3B2's, or between VAXes (VMS&UNIX),IBM 3090's,
PC's, Macintoshes, and a host of Uniboxes??

Rumor has it that AT&T privately admits they will probably be forced to
support NFS because of its commanding lead.

Believe what you wish.  Faith is a terrible thing to waste.

	-Mike O'Dell

guy%gorodish@Sun.COM (Guy Harris) (01/04/87)

(Why is this in comp.bugs.sys5?  I've redirected followups away from there.)

> It appears to me that all the vendors that purchase a license to SVR3 get
> RFS for free with it, and it is ported to SVR3.
>
> At a cost of $25,000, plus more for later updates, license fees, and the
> cost of porting it to SVR3, NFS gets prohibitive fast.

1) It already *is* ported to S5R3; ask Lachman Associates about it.

2) Other people seem to have decided that it's not too prohibitive, since
they've signed up for it.

> Also, NFS does not implement the full UNIX file system symantics, so
> applications do no port as easily (or transparently).  Also, follow
> on charges for NFS versions that will (speculative) get it up to the
> full file system symantics will probably cost even more.

Also, the only transport layer that's supplied with S5R3 is Starlan; no
TCP/IP or ISO protocol implementation comes with S5R3.  (Yes, NFS has been
demonstrated on top of ISO protocols.)  There is an MS-DOS client
implementation of NFS; there is none for RFS.  NFS is supported by non-S5R3
UNIX systems; RFS isn't.

No, you can't access devices over NFS.  (If a diskless machine's root file
system is being accessed over NFS, you don't *want* to access remote devices
over NFS; were NFS ever changed to permit remote device access, there would
need to be an option to indicate whether special files refer to local or
remote devices.  If RFS were ever changed to permit diskless machines, the
same would be true.)  S5-style locking does work with NFS (technically, it's
not part of NFS; locks are managed by a different server).  Forced-append
mode isn't guaranteed to work, because a forced-append write isn't
idempotent.  It does make a "best effort", which amounts to an "lseek" to
the current EOF followed by a write (done within the kernel, so no other
process on the same machine can get in between them).  Some other operations
also aren't idempotent, although a server-side reply cache seems to prevent
this from being a problem (at least in my experience).

On the other hand, I haven't seen how well stateful servers work in an
environment with more servers than a few carefully-administered central
machines.  When I had a disk, I exported the file system containing my home
directory to other machines; I didn't have to worry about re-mounting my
home directory on those machines if I rebooted my machine.  Another machine
I manage is used for development, so it is sometimes rebooted frequently; it
exports an infrequently-used file system to several clients, and it would be
inconvenient if they were forced to remount that file system ever time we
needed to bring up a new kernel on the server.  (It's also convenient not to
have my sessions smashed if a server crashes.)  I would say off the top of
my head that a stateful server *could* reestablish a connection when the
server comes back up, but as far as I know RFS doesn't do so.

In short, you pays your money and you takes your choice.  I see no evidence
that RFS is a clear winner, and I will avoid speculation as I don't have
enough data.

mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/05/87)

In article <371@oblio.UUCP> monte@oblio.UUCP (Monte Pickard) writes:
>In article <261@unixprt.UUCP>, monkey@unixprt.UUCP (Monkey Face@unixprt) writes:
>> Now that System V, Release 3 has been available for 6 months,....
>> ... how about some discussion on RFS.
>>
>> Does it work?  How does it compare to NFS?  What transport providers
>> are people using?  Is anyone going to produce a transport provider
>> for re-sale to other computer vendors?  Will RFS or NFS become the
>> de-facto standard?
>
>It appears to me that all the vendors that purchase a license to SVR3 get
>RFS for free with it, and it is ported to SVR3.
>
>At a cost of $25,000, plus more for later updates, license fees, and the cost
>of porting it to SVR3, NFS gets prohibitive fast.
>
>These things may help define the standard.
>
>Also, NFS does not implement the full UNIX file system symantics, so
>applications do no port as easily (or transparently).  Also, follow
>on charges for NFS versions that will (speculative) get it up to the
>full file system symantics will probably cost even more.
>
>Monte Pickard - Counterpoint Computers

I don't think the dust has settled on this one yet.
Our boxes run either 4.3BSD or SVR3, and we do a lot of OEM selling, so
we hear a lot of different viewpoints.
So far, it seems that:
	a) Most people believe that RFS has a number of technical pluses,
	which Monte mentions.
	b) Very few, if any, large computer companies have signed up yet
	for SVR3, given the confusion/controversy over the SVR3 licensing
	terms. [We have a number of very large customers who want SVR3,
	but whose lawyers won't let them sign the contract.  Hopefully, the
	newest revisions will fix this.]  So far, the people who've publicly
	supported RFS are those that have or have had special relationships with
	AT&T [Convergent, Monte's Counterpoint, Intel/Moto], or have other
	reasons not to want NFS [such as Apollo].
	c) It's still not clear how well RFS will do an a heterogeneous
	environment, although it would certainly appear more attractive in
	a homogeneous environment.  [This is not to say it won't be OK, it's
	just that NFS is clearly already OK in a heterogeneous environment.]
	d) At the last NFS Connectathon in December, about half of the 20-or-so
	vendors were there to try NFS in a SV environment.  One must also give
	credit to SUN: they are doing a fine job of encouraging ports with
	good support: the Connectathon was well-run and well-supported.
Anyway, there seems to be merit in both approaches, and it is just not clear
yet, if only because RFS doesn't really seem to be in widespread use outside
AT&T [readers: Correct me if I'm wrong.]  Also, one may well draw a parallel
with the XNS versus TCP/IP wars a while back: XNS had a lot of merit, but
TCP/IP got there first, and in networking, it often seem to be a question of
who gets there first.  In any case, it appears that many people are hedging
their bets by structuring their code to allow you to go either or both ways
at some point.
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash, DDD:  	408-720-1700, x253

> It appears to me that all the vendors that purchase a license to SVR3 get
> RFS for free with it, and it is ported to SVR3.
>
> At a cost of $25,000, plus more for later updates, license fees, and the cost
> of porting it to SVR3, NFS gets prohibitive fast.

Unfortunately, licensing SVR3 is not something that can be taken for granted,
since the license contains some troublesome clauses about mandatory SVID
compliance that have made a lot of vendors think twice about it.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

monkey@unixprt.UUCP (Monkey Face@unixprt) (01/07/87)

In article <7478@utzoo.UUCP>, henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
> Unfortunately, licensing SVR3 is not something that can be taken for granted,
> since the license contains some troublesome clauses about mandatory SVID
> compliance that have made a lot of vendors think twice about it.

It seems appropriate that if you have a UNIX port based on SVR3, that at
least one of the environments available to the user is SVID compliant.
I do not believe that this this disallows having other 'known'
environments available.

Application writers need to have a finite set of environments
to address their work to, else so many things will only run on very
specific environments (like now).

Several vendors are providing this multi-environment solution already.

Monkey Face - Uni-xperts, Milpitas CA
(408) 946-6572

monkey@unixprt.UUCP (Monkey Face@unixprt) (01/07/87)

> ...Also, one may well draw a parallel
> with the XNS versus TCP/IP wars a while back: XNS had a lot of merit, but
> TCP/IP got there first, and in networking, it often seem to be a question of
> who gets there first.  ....

I believe, in the past, there was more wide-spread use of the Berkeley
rendition of UNIX (4.xBSD) outside of AT&T also.  Lately it seems that most
vendors feel obligated to provide SV.  Many do as MIPS and provide both.
Few still only provide the Berkeley based product.

mishkin@apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) (01/10/87)

In article <43052@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> mo@beno.CSS.GOV.UUCP (Mike O'Dell) writes:

>Sorry guys, RFS is dead meat.  Until you have managed a large collection
>of machines, you do not understand the importance of stateless servers,
>filesystem semantics be damned (in point of fact, they aren't damaged
>very much at all, much hoopla to the contrary).

This is an interesting (and probably correct) argument.  But it's not
clear that people will understand or act upon it.  For example, I could
state:

    Until you have managed a network of 100+ machines, you do not
    understand the importance of not having to explicitly mount a file
    system before you can access it.

This argument has not always had the effect I might have wished :-)

                    -- Nat Mishkin
                       Apollo Computer Inc.
                       apollo!mishkin

HN1@PSUVM.BITNET (01/19/87)