[comp.bugs.sys5] REQUEST: Comments on IN/IX SysV UNIX

wmf@chinet.UUCP (04/18/87)

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the
IN/IX UNIX System 5 Operating System from INTERACTIVE Systems located in
Santa Monica, CA.

Particularly interested in impressions of communications and development
system capabilities.

Thanx to all in advance,

| Fortiter in re, suaviter in modo                        Bill Fischer        |
|                                                     ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf     |

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (04/19/87)

In article <869@chinet.UUCP> wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) writes:

>I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the
>IN/IX UNIX System 5 Operating System from INTERACTIVE Systems located in
>Santa Monica, CA.
>
>Particularly interested in impressions of communications and development
>system capabilities.

I hope it's getting better, but Ser/IX (Unix on an IBM Series/1) is,
I believe, a version of this.  (...never heard of Unix on a Series/1?,
not really surprising, IBM only sold the combo for about 9 months as far as
I can figure.  Unfortunately 'ryesone.UUCP' (where I'm sysadmin as well as
here) is one...)

It's hard to say what's their fault & what's just the Series/1.  One of
the most maddening things is they have basically System V, but with Berkeley
terminal drivers....so nothing, that does anything at all fancy, ports!
The manuals are also AFU...MAYBE better for a novice, very frustrating
for someone familiar with Unix.  Nroff doesn't work.  Little things.
(AIX - System V for IBM PC-RT has similar fouled up manuals, I believe
it's by the same people).

On the bright side, anyone that can make a pretty bug-free C compiler
for the Series/1 can't be stupid.  (Though anyone who would try might
be considered a little mentally unstable; it's the weirdest architecture
I've ever seen....makes the 8086 look positively reasonable.)
--
	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)
	..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason

mike@hcr.UUCP (Mike Tilson) (04/20/87)

commented that he had used IBM's Ser/IX (UNIX for the Series/1), and
didn't like it very well.  In his posting, I think it may have been implied
that the Series/1 UNIX is very similar to IN/IX and also to AIX on the RT PC
(all being done by the same people.)

I think UNIX for the Series/1 is a pretty special case, and one can't
judge the other UNIX implementations by it.  From what I've heard there
are several problems with the Series/1, but I don't think it has much
to do with the IN/IX products.  Finally, I can comment directly on AIX,
since we developed the optimizer modules for the C and Fortran compilers.
Therefore we have worked very closely with the AIX system.  AIX is
very impressive -- it's complete, reliable, and fast.  If I had to choose
between IBM's System V (on the RT PC) or AT&T's System V (on the 3B),
I'd take IBM.  AIX is a very solid piece of work.  The original port
was done by Interactive, but IBM has had a large and very talented group
doing enhancements and maintenance.

As Dave Mason indicated, they have re-written the manuals.  Personally,
I think the manuals are now better written than the AT&T originals,
although re-writing always adds the danger of errors.  It is a little
inconvenient for those who just want to look up a command, since the
organization is a bit different.

/Michael Tilson, HCR Corporation, {utzoo,ihnp4,...}!hcr!mike

tjt@styx.UUCP (Tim Tessin) (04/20/87)

In article <137@tmsoft.UUCP> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
> In article <869@chinet.UUCP> wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) writes:
> >I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with the
> >IN/IX UNIX System 5 Operating System from INTERACTIVE Systems located in
> >Santa Monica, CA.
> >Particularly interested in impressions of communications and development
> >system capabilities.
>
> I hope it's getting better, but Ser/IX (Unix on an IBM Series/1) is,
> I believe, a version of this.  (...never heard of Unix on a Series/1?,

Not true!  There are actually three versions of UNIX which run on a
Series/1:  CPIX, SERIX, and S1/IX (or possibly Ser/IX).
CPIX was developed for IBM by some CS group at some university (I forget where)
It is V6 derivative.  SERIX is sold by the CMI corporation and S1/IX is sold by IBM.  Both SERIX and S1/IX were developed by the COSI company and have
absolutely NO relationship to Interactive Systems products.

> It's hard to say what's their fault & what's just the Series/1.  One of
> the most maddening things is they have basically System V, but with Berkeley
> terminal drivers....so nothing, that does anything at all fancy, ports!

True. (And they have a 16-bit address space to boot [no pun intended])

> The manuals are also AFU...MAYBE better for a novice, very frustrating
> for someone familiar with Unix.  Nroff doesn't work.  Little things.
> (AIX - System V for IBM PC-RT has similar fouled up manuals, I believe

No comment, what the vendor does with UNIX manuals when they leave the
sub-contractor can't be explained!
If nroff doesn't work, maybe you should be running SERIX and not S1/IX
Call CMI, they probably can help you.  (SERIX is currently supported
I don't know about S1/IX.)

> On the bright side, anyone that can make a pretty bug-free C compiler
> for the Series/1 can't be stupid.  (Though anyone who would try might
> be considered a little mentally unstable; it's the weirdest architecture
> I've ever seen....makes the 8086 look positively reasonable.)

Hey, the pay was good!  And wow, what an experience!  Kernel hacking at its
finest!

> 	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)

Tim Tessin (One of the former SERIX-S1/IX System Architects)

Phone: (415) 422-8971 / 422-4758
ARPA:  tjt@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP:  {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!tjt