[comp.bugs.sys5] EXORmacs for System V?

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (07/29/87)

We teach an introductory computer organization course in which students
study the architecture of the Motorola 68000. During the course they
write a few assembler programs before graduating to using C, just to
get an idea of how the 68000 is organized. We have been highly amused
by the standard UNIX assembler that came with the system used by this
course (an NCR Tower 32/600 running AT&T UNIX System V). Little
features like optimizing an ADDI instruction not to ADDQ but to SUBQ
offer a unique problem solving environment in which students can fine
tune their debugging skills.

It does occur to us that it might be useful to have an assembler for
System V that will accept standard Motorola EXORmacs mnemonics and
instruction formats, and produce code executable on our 68020-based
Towers under UNIX.

Does any one know of such a product?

BTW, otherwise we've been very pleased with the Tower-32/600 as a
generic UNIX engine for use in some of our undergraduate laboratories.

Thanks!

-- John

John Sloan       jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU         ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan
Computer Science Department, Wright State University, Dayton OH, 45435
+1 513 873 2491   belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.
The only thing that depreciates faster than a computer is fresh 6:mor

joel@intelisc.UUCP (Joel Clark) (08/03/87)

In article <148@wright.EDU> jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
>We teach an introductory computer organization course in which students
>study the architecture of the Motorola 68000.
>
>It does occur to us that it might be useful to have an assembler for
>System V that will accept standard Motorola EXORmacs mnemonics and
>instruction formats, and produce code executable on our 68020-based
>Towers under UNIX.
>
>Does any one know of such a product?

I believe Oregon Software, 6915 S.W. Macadam Ave. Portland, Or 97219.
(503)245-2202  sells such a beast.  It is called the Oregon linker/assembler.
  It can run on 680X0 unix boxes, Vaxen, unix or VMS, and PC's.  It includes
  the cross linker but can, I believe, be purchased separately.  There is an
optional package of routines for running programs on 680X0 standalone boards.

Joel Clark
Intel Scientific Computer
(503) 629-7732				tektronix!ogcvax!omepd!intelisc!joel
My opinions are my own, I represent nobody.........I No Nuh Tink!!