[comp.bugs.sys5] awk is a dog under Sys V/3.0 386

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/14/89)

'awk' is an incredible dog on the 386 under Sys V/3.0.  Mine will only
process 20-30 lines/second.  Xenix on a 286 blows that away.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "We've been following your progress with considerable
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  interest, not to say contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Ken Keirnan) (01/15/89)

In article <3272@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>'awk' is an incredible dog on the 386 under Sys V/3.0.  Mine will only
>process 20-30 lines/second.  Xenix on a 286 blows that away.

I wonder if the Xenix 286 box has floating hardware?  It is true that the
floating point emulator for System V/386 is a dog.  We have an application
that makes heavy use of awk.  Before we added floating point hardware (a
80387 chip) the application took a little over three hours to run.  After the
FP chip was added the same application ran in just under 17 minutes.  When I
ran pure floating point speed benchmarks, the FP chip improved the processing
time by a factor of 45!

Ken Keirnan
--

Ken Keirnan - Pacific Bell - {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhyf!kjk
  San Ramon, California	                    kjk@pbhyf.PacBell.COM

news@brian386.UUCP (Wm. Brian McCane) (01/15/89)

In article <3272@sugar.uu.net> karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>'awk' is an incredible dog on the 386 under Sys V/3.0.  Mine will only
>process 20-30 lines/second.  Xenix on a 286 blows that away.

There is an even bigger problem.  If I install (with installit?) something
on my system running Micoport Sys V/3.0 r3.0e.  The next time I use awk
(dfspace for example) for any thing, the system locks up and I have to
power down and then back up.  I don't knopw if anyone else has mentioned
this, but it has existed since I got r2.2 at least.

		brian