[comp.bugs.sys5] 'ps' is too slow

colburn@io.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Mark H. Colburn) (03/11/89)

In article <1119@auspex.UUCP> guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
+>In DG/UX, as of 4.00, there is a system call "dg_process_info", which
+>returns just about everything you'd want from a 'ps'.  You can specify
+>a uid, pid, tty, pgrp or 'all' (the -u, -p, -t, -g and -e options) to
+>to limit the processes returned.  You just sit in a loop for as long as
+>the call returns 1.
+
+S5R4 will probably do something similar with "/proc".  Basically, the
+loop will probably look something like:

The SunOS 4.0 release has a fast version of PS.  The first time I ran it I
was waiting for it to start as all the information scrolled off the
screen...  Whether this will be in later versions of S5r4 or not, I don't
know, but, as usuall, Guy's prediction is probably accurate.

I believe that Sun does the fast ps by cacheing all of the process status
information in the kernel, rather than having to read /etc/utmp, etc.

Mark H. Colburn           MN65-2300		colburn@SRC.Honeywell.COM
Systems Administration and Support
Honeywell Systems & Research Center

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (03/14/89)

>I believe that Sun does the fast ps by cacheing all of the process status
>information in the kernel, rather than having to read /etc/utmp, etc.

You believe something that is not true.  Sun does the fast "ps" by
caching a fair bit of information in "/etc/psdatabase" - amazingly
enough, this is just what the 4.3BSD "ps" does, even down to the name of
the file.  Wow, what a coincidence! :-)

(No, the "kvm" library doesn't do any magic; it's just a library that
encapsulates what used to be independently implemented in several
"kmem"-reader programs - i.e., it opens "/dev/kmem" and grovels through
it in much the same way "ps" used to do.)

More recent System V "ps"s do much the same thing, only they call the
file "/etc/ps_data".

The S5R4 "ps" will probably

	1) use "/proc", since it'll be in S5R4;

	2) use "/etc/ps_data" if necessary.

rock@cbnews.ATT.COM (Y. Rock Lee) (03/17/89)

In article <1069@vsi.COM> friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>Anybody wanting more info on /proc for the 3B15 can send mail to me:
>I've got a couple of programs that are kind of fun.

I  haven't done any work related to /proc yet,
but would like to learn more about it.
Thanks in advance.

Rock

Y. Rock Lee       (614) 860-4774