[comp.bugs.sys5] SVr3 csh

washer@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV (Jim Washer) (02/25/89)

How come a tilde '~'  causes braces '{}' to be interpreted differently
on SVr3 csh? example:
command 1 > echo ~
/usr/your_name_here
command 2 > echo {}
{}
command 3 > echo ~ {}
/usr/your_name_here

What happens to the braces on lines that contain tilde. This really messes up
commands like 'find ~ -exec your favorite command {} \; -print'

	thank,
	jim

	James Washer
	North West Software Enterprises
	uunet!lll-winken!nwse!washer

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/25/89)

In article <20912@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> washer@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV (Jim Washer) writes:
>How come a tilde '~'  causes braces '{}' to be interpreted differently
>on SVr3 csh?

Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,
yours must have been provided as an "add-on" by your system vendor
or perhaps your local computing staff.  Why not ask them instead?

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (02/26/89)

In article <9711@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,

I got the C shell with SVR3.2 *directly* from AT&T and it's severly
brain damaged.  Doesn't even have pushd/popd.  Someone told me
AT&T picked it up from an old PDP-11 distribution and has never
upgraded it.  On my 3b1, AT&T at least gave me the Korn shell
when I bought all their software, but they don't do that with
SVR3.2/386.

	Richard Stevens
	Health Systems International, New Haven, CT
	   stevens@hsi.com
           ... { uunet | yale } ! hsi ! stevens

stevea@laidbak.UUCP (Steve Alexander) (02/26/89)

In article <9711@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,

System V/386 Release 3.2 contains csh, and it is indeed broken, or at
least it behaves differently than every other csh I could find around
here.  I use ksh, so I'm not prepared to comment on what the correct
behavior should be.
--
Steve Alexander, TCP/IP Development | stevea%laidbak@sun.com
Lachman Associates, Inc.            | ...!sun!laidbak!stevea

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (02/26/89)

>I got the C shell with SVR3.2 *directly* from AT&T and it's severly
>brain damaged.  Doesn't even have pushd/popd.  Someone told me
>AT&T picked it up from an old PDP-11 distribution and has never
>upgraded it.

Could be; a number of other systems seem to have done the same thing.
Jeez, the 4.3BSD version one is certainly available to anybody with a
UNIX source license; I don't see why they're sticking with a crufty old
version.

S5R4 will have both the Korn and C shells; the latter will almost
certainly be based on a 4.3BSD-or-better version.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) (02/26/89)

In article <313@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
-In article <9711@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
-> Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,
-I got the C shell with SVR3.2 *directly* from AT&T and it's severly
-brain damaged. ...  On my 3b1, AT&T at least gave me the Korn shell
-when I bought all their software, but they don't do that with
-SVR3.2/386.

Thanks for this information, which is news to me.  I thought AT&T was
supplying the Korn shell but not csh.  I note that csh is supposed to
be included with SVR4.0, alas.  One hopes that it would be essentially
the 4.3BSD version and not some antique..

ralph@ralmar.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (02/27/89)

In article <313@hsi86.hsi.UUCP>, stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
> In article <9711@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> > Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,
>
> upgraded it.  On my 3b1, AT&T at least gave me the Korn shell
> when I bought all their software, but they don't do that with
> SVR3.2/386.

ksh, along with several data format conversion programs, is included
in the "ISV Toolkit".
--
Ralph Barker, RALMAR Business Systems, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun, uunet}!amdahl!unixprt!ralmar!ralph

In article <9711@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Since csh is not supplied as part of UNIX System V Release 3,
>yours must have been provided as an "add-on" by your system vendor
>or perhaps your local computing staff.  Why not ask them instead?

Doesn't an add-on provided by AT&T become a part of unix, or does the
Xenix/SysV compatibility hype only apply to '386 unix.

Les Mikesell

rfrye@netxcom.UUCP (Rob Frye) (02/27/89)

In article <313@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) writes:
>I got the C shell with SVR3.2 *directly* from AT&T and it's severly
>brain damaged.  Doesn't even have pushd/popd.  Someone told me

SCO Xenix csh doesn't have pushd/popd "internally", but their standard
".cshrc" has an easy set of macro aliases that do (almost) the same thing.
I've expanded them slightly:

    if (! $?_d) set _d = ()
	alias	popd	'cd $_d[1]; echo ${_d[1]}:; shift _d'
	alias	pushd	'set _d = (`pwd` $_d); cd \!*'
	alias	swapd	'set _d = ($_d[2] $_d[1] $_d[3-])'
	alias	flipd	'pushd .; swapd ; popd'
	alias	fd	'flipd'
	alias	sd	'echo $_d'
	alias	cleard	'set _d = ()'
    endif
--
Rob Frye
NetExpress Communications, Inc.		Phone: (703)749-2234

bob@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Bob Toxen) (03/27/89)

GACK!  Get a copy of BSD 4.1A CSH.  It ports easily to System V, etc.
There are billions of copies floating around.
--

Bob Toxen	{ucbvax!harvard,cloud9!es}!anvil!cavu!bob
Stratus Computer, Marlboro, MA

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (03/28/89)

In article <4551@cloud9.Stratus.COM> bob@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Bob Toxen) writes:
>GACK!  Get a copy of BSD 4.1A CSH.  It ports easily to System V, etc.
>There are billions of copies floating around.

Then could you please tell me how to do it?  I wrestled with it for three
days (three days longer than I wanted to) and still couldn't get it because
it contains signals that are not part of SV and jobs control that are
not easily seperable (unless I missed something :-)).

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (04/02/89)

As quoted from <4551@cloud9.Stratus.COM> by bob@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Bob Toxen):
+---------------
| GACK!  Get a copy of BSD 4.1A CSH.  It ports easily to System V, etc.
| There are billions of copies floating around.

There may well be "billions of copies floating around" -- but there aren't
so many AT&T source licenses floating around in the same price range; and BSD
csh is based on the V6 Mashey shell, I believe.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu