[comp.bugs.sys5] Use of /etc/dialups and /etc/d_passwd

mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) (04/26/89)

In a system V environment, I'd be interested in knowing how these files
are used, their formats, etc.  A string decomposition of my /bin/login
showed these two files being used not the documentation makes a vailed
reference to these files.

Help and information appreciated.

Mike Parker				Internet:  chip!mparker@nosc.mil
Manager, Systems Administration		UUCP:	...nosc!chip!mparker

wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (04/27/89)

In article <245@chip.UUCP> mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
> In a system V environment, I'd be interested in knowing how these files
> [ /etc/dialups and /etc/d_passwd ] are used, their formats, etc.

/etc/dialups contains a list of the pathnames of devices which are to
be considered "dialup" lines and for which an additional dialup password
will be required.  Use the full pathname: "/dev/tty29", one name per line.

/etc/d_passwd contains the encrypted passwords and the corresponding shells:

/bin/sh:vyEGlsxgLaDj.:
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico::

The dialup password is requested after (and only after) a username and
password has been validated.  Hence getting the propt for a Dialup Password
means the you have a good username and password.  The password is dependent
on the shell in the user's /etc/passwd entry (/bin/sh is the default if the
shell is not explicitly mentioned in /etc/d_passwd).  The null entry above
means that uucp connections don't get asked for a dialup password.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

ram@tslanpar.UUCP (R. Meesters, Tech Support, Lanpar Toronto Ontario Canada) (04/28/89)

In article <245@chip.UUCP>, mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
> In a system V environment, I'd be interested in knowing how these files
> are used, their formats, etc.  A string decomposition of my /bin/login
> showed these two files being used not the documentation makes a vailed
> reference to these files.

These files are used for setting a dialup password.  The references to these
files can be found in the AT&T System Support and Update News.  The issues in
question are the June 1987 issue under the heading "How to Create a Secure
UNIX System Login" and the January 1988 issue "How to Impliment a Dial-
up Password for AT&T 3B UNIX System Computers."

/etc/dialups is a list of the tty ports that the dial-up passwords are to
be implimented on.  /etc/d_password is a list of the encripted passwords
for login methods.  Reccomended password protections are for /bin/sh,
/bin/ksh and /usr/lib/uucp/uucico.

Hope this helps.

	Richard Meesters		|
	Lanpar Technologies Inc.	|	"Calling YOU stupid would
	Toronto, Ontario		|	be an insult to stupid people"
	...attcan!nebulus!tslanpar!ram	|	   - A Fish Called Wanda

linwood@b11.ingr.com (Linwood Varney) (04/30/89)

In article <245@chip.UUCP> mparker@chip.UUCP (M. D. Parker) writes:
>In a system V environment, I'd be interested in knowing how these files
>are used, their formats, etc.

Actually these files are quite useful, especially if you are worried about
security.

The format of the /etc/dialups file is just a list of devices on
separate lines that are concidered dailup ports, for example
"/dev/tty00".  If the port that login is running on is found in dialups
file, then login looks in the /etc/d_passwd file to see if it should ask
for a Dialup Password.  A Dialup Password is asked if the Login Shell
from the password file is found in the d_passwd file, along with a
password.  (I do not remember, but I think if the login shell was not
found, login would use the first entry).

The format of the d_passwd file is a list of lines with the following format:

Login_Shell:Encrypted_Password:

For example:

$ cat /etc/dialups
/dev/tty00
/dev/tty01
$ cat /etc/d_passwd
/bin/sh:QDilgjTRu/6kU:
/bin/ksh:Kzpmjf5lejk:
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico::
$

If you were to login of either port /dev/tty00 or /dev/tty01, and your login
shell was the /bin/sh, it would ask you for a "Dialup Password".  If you
were another computer trying to login as nuucp on one of those ports, a
"Dialup Password" would be skipped.

Oh, the Encrypted Password is the same as that found in the /etc/passwd file.
There is no easy way to set it.  What I did was password an account, and then
using an editor, copy the password field from passwd to d_passwd.  I also
write a short program to do it.

>...  A string decomposition of my /bin/login
>showed these two files being used not the documentation makes a vailed
>reference to these files.

Documentation is disappointingly vague.  Source also helps..   :-)

	- Linwood Varney			...!uunet!ingr!linwood
	  Network Communications		linwood@ingr.com
	  Intergraph Corporation		Huntsville, Alabama