[comp.bugs.sys5] Date to switch from standard time to daylight savings time

olaf@ntc.UUCP (olaf kaestner) (05/11/89)

We have several different versions of UNIX running here but all have a
common flaw: there is no way we know to teach them that Congress changed the
dates of the switch from standard time to daylight savings time and back.

Our local guru's do not know where to patch - we do not have sources
to all UNIX variants - System III/V (Altos 68000, Pyramid OSx, Nixdorf TOS).

Who could tell us what can be done to inject the correct dates into the
body of the kernel (or whereever)?

Thanks for your help.

Olaf Kaestner
Nixdorf Technology Center
uucp: pyramid!nixntc!olaf
BELL: (408) 748-0420

tel@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.e.lowe) (05/13/89)

In article <345@ntc.UUCP> olaf@ntc.UUCP (olaf kaestner) writes:
>We have several different versions of UNIX running here but all have a
>common flaw: there is no way we know to teach them that Congress changed the
>dates of the switch from standard time to daylight savings time and back.

>Our local guru's do not know where to patch - we do not have sources
>to all UNIX variants - System III/V (Altos 68000, Pyramid OSx, Nixdorf TOS).

>Who could tell us what can be done to inject the correct dates into the
>body of the kernel (or whereever)?

The only place I have seen code that corrects for the Change in 1987 as
well as dealing with Nixon's change back in the 70's (remember the Energy
Crisis?) is in the source for ctime functions.  (the file is ctime.c
somewhere in the /usr/src directory).  You would have to fix and archive that
file to deal with the 1987 changes.  Then you would have to recompile ALL
commands that use ctime.

The other thing you can do is temporarily change the /etc/TIMEZONE file
(or whereever you set TZ) such that it accurately shows the time during
the time it should change and the time it actually does change.  This
'fix' has been posted a couple times, but I don't have it handy.
I'm sure someone else will post it.  (hint hint)

--
Tom Lowe    tel@hound.ATT.COM or  att!hound!tel     201-949-0428
AT&T Bell Laboratories, Room 2E-637A

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (05/13/89)

In article <345@ntc.UUCP> olaf@ntc.UUCP (olaf kaestner) writes:
>We have several different versions of UNIX running here but all have a
>common flaw: there is no way we know to teach them that Congress changed the
>dates of the switch from standard time to daylight savings time and back.
>
>Our local guru's do not know where to patch - we do not have sources
>to all UNIX variants - System III/V (Altos 68000, Pyramid OSx, Nixdorf TOS).

	I know that our Pyramid (OSx 4.4) switches time correctly.  I would
suspect that Nixdorf's would also, provided they had the latest version of OSx
(or whatever Nixdorf calls it -- TOS I would guess from your posting) running
on them (since they're just repackaged Pyramids -- at least some of them are
-- I'm not familiar with Nixdorf's whole product line).

>Olaf Kaestner

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (05/27/89)

	"The other thing you can do is temporarily change the
	/etc/TIMEZONE file (or whereever you set TZ) such that it
	accurately shows the time during the time it should change and
	the time it actually does change."

But when May comes and your software agrees that it's time for daylight
savings time, any creation/modification/access dates from the affected
period that ls displays will be off by an hour.  And there are similar
problems, like the output from "who" and accounting programs.  Maybe
not important, but worth keeping in mind.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!orca!frip!andrew)      [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.wv.tek.com@relay.cs.net)   [ARPA]