[comp.bugs.sys5] Crontab

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (07/21/89)

In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
root then do
crontab filename
it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies. We didn't
have cron.allow or cron.deny set up, so root was the only one able
to use cron (all the users are naive users).

This means I must manually reload the thing myself

Greg
Disclaimer - Thomas Cooks Iron, My Opinions
Greg Calkin                                   Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited,
...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!marcamd!tcnz2!greg  PO Box 24, Auckland CPO,
or greg@tcnz.co.nz                            New Zealand.    Phone (09)-793920

aem@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/22/89)

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz writes:
>In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
>root then do
>crontab filename
>it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
>the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies. We didn't
>have cron.allow or cron.deny set up, so root was the only one able
>to use cron (all the users are naive users).
>This means I must manually reload the thing myself

That's exactly how System V crontab works and is supposed to work, as far
as I can tell. It works that way on our ATT 3B2s, and our Apple Mac A/UX
systems.

When I don't feel like vi-ing the appropriate file, I do crontab >tempfile,
vi tempfile,
crontab tempfile

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
The life of money-making is one undertaken under compulsion, and wealth is
evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake
of something else.					- Aristotle

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (07/22/89)

To append entries to crontab, try

	crontab -l | cat - /tmp/mynewentries | crontab

Or, as I prefer, from vi, you just type

	:%!crontab -l

then edit the entries as you see fit, and finish with

	:%!crontab

--
"My God, Thiokol, when do you     \\	Tom Neff
want me to launch -- next April?"  \\	uunet!bfmny0!tneff

>In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
>root then do
>crontab filename
>it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
>the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies.

Unless somebody at NCR decided to modify "crontab" but didn't get it
right, it's the manual that's incorrect; in vanilla S5 from AT&T,
"crontab" is intended to replace, not append to, the existing "crontab"
file, and that's what it does.  (If you want to append, then as long as
you don't have multiple writers, you can obviously arrange to do that by
using "crontab -l" to copy the file, appending to the copy, and using
"crontab" to write it out.)

(If somebody at NCR *did* decide to do that, they should have thought
twice about making "crontab" incompatible - if it appends, is the only
way then to delete a "crontab" entry to nuke my entire "crontab" file
with "crontab -r" and then to stuff the new file in?  I suspect, though,
that it's purely a documentation screwup.)

haug@toto.UUCP (Brian R Haug) (07/23/89)

I recently examined the crontab man page on a NCR Tower 32/600 Release 2.01
(the exact same system as Greg Calkin used) and I read the man page to mean
that the entries would be replaced, I do not see how he got the impression
he did.  NCR's man page states:
	Crontab copies the specified file, or standard input if no
	file is specified, into a directory that holds all user
	crontab files.  A user crontab file specifies .....

If Greg still feels this is misleading he should contact his NCR representative
and discuss the problem.  Perhaps the man page should be clarified.

Disclaimer:
	I work for NCR, but not on this product.  These opinions in NO WAY
	necesarily reflect those of NCR.

tmoore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM (Tom.Moore@ciss.Dayton.NCR.COM) (07/24/89)

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz writes:

>In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
>root then do
>crontab filename
>it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
>the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies. We didn't
>have cron.allow or cron.deny set up, so root was the only one able
>to use cron (all the users are naive users).

To quote the TOWER User Reference Manual crontab(1) entry:

	  "Crontab copies the specified file, or standard input if no
	  file is specified, into a directory that holds all user
	  crontab files."

I don't believe copy implies append.

If it is any consolation, you are not the first person to make this
mistake. :-)

--
* Tom Moore                NCR Corporation  PCD-6              (513) 445-1373 *
* Consulting Analyst       1700 S. Patterson Blvd.         VOICEplus 622-1373 *

wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Mike Wescott) (07/24/89)

In article <2271@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
> In article <139@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz> greg@tcnz.co.nz writes:
> >In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
> >root then do
> >crontab filename
> >it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
> >the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies.
>
> Unless somebody at NCR decided to modify "crontab" but didn't get it
> right,

Nope.  No modifications. Except expanding the usage message to include the
-l option.

> it's the manual that's incorrect;
	[...]
> I suspect, though, that it's purely a documentation screwup.

Nope.  The man page for crontab, while not a verbatim copy of the V.2.1
man page uses the same language:

	Crontab copies the specified file, or standard input if no
	file is specified, into a directory that holds all user
	crontab files.

This isn't the clearest and most complete description of crontab's behavior
but I don't see the "append" implication either.
--
	-Mike Wescott
	 mike.wescott@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (07/24/89)

In article <139@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz> greg@tcnz.co.nz writes:

>In NCR Tower Unix, release 20100, if I create a crontab format file as
>root then do
>crontab filename
>it wipes what is currently in the crontab for root and replaces it with
>the new entries. It does not append it, as the manual implies. We didn't
>have cron.allow or cron.deny set up, so root was the only one able
>to use cron (all the users are naive users).

The 'crontab' command works in exactly the same way on our Encore Multimax,
running UMAX V 2.2f. However, the manual says that the contents of <filename>
or stdin is *copied* to the crontab directory, thus overwriting what's
currently in the crontab file. It doesn't say a word about appending. From
what I've seen, Encore's manual says exactly the same thing all other System
V-like crontab manuals I've seen, so if the NCR manual differ, I guess that
NCR is in error.

BTW, Encore's manual on crontab also says, in the BUGS section, that if one
enter "crontab" and then changes ones mind, one should NOT terminate the
command with ctrl D, but with the interrupt key. Otherwise, the current
crontab will be replaced with an empty one. This phrase is not in all
manuals, even though the command do work in this way.
--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB