[comp.bugs.sys5] Pack

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz (07/21/89)

On NCR Tower unix, release 20100, the unpack we have unpacks
linked packed files. I discovered this because I wanted to
unpack, then compress the man files, some of which are linked.

Compress isn't this stupid - it doesn't unpack these files.
Beware - this is going to cause me some headaches.

Greg
Disclaimer - Thomas Cooks Iron, My Opinions
Greg Calkin                                   Thomas Cook N.Z. Limited,
...!uunet!vuwcomp!dsiramd!marcamd!tcnz2!greg  PO Box 24, Auckland CPO,
or greg@tcnz.co.nz                            New Zealand.    Phone (09)-793920

aem@ibiza.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/22/89)

greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz writes:
>On NCR Tower unix, release 20100, the unpack we have unpacks
>linked packed files. I discovered this because I wanted to
>unpack, then compress the man files, some of which are linked.

>Compress isn't this stupid - it doesn't unpack these files.
>Beware - this is going to cause me some headaches.

What do you expect from System V? Geez.

System V only has hard links. If you modify a file, the link is destroyed.
(I'm probably explaining this badly).

When you unpack a file, it becomes a seperate file.

Someone out there probably has written a script or program to handle
this, but it is not a System V bug -- it's a System V "feature".

aem

a.e.mossberg - aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu/aem@umiami.BITNET - Pahayokee Bioregion
The life of money-making is one undertaken under compulsion, and wealth is
evidently not the good we are seeking, for it is merely useful for the sake
of something else.					- Aristotle

nick@toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) (07/26/89)

In article <485@umigw.MIAMI.EDU> aem@Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:
>greg@tcnz2.tcnz.co.nz writes:
>>On NCR Tower unix, release 20100, the unpack we have unpacks [...]
>>Compress isn't this stupid - it doesn't unpack these files.
>
>System V only has hard links. If you modify a file, the link is destroyed.
>(I'm probably explaining this badly).

Actually, NCR has implemented symbolic links for System V. So far as I know,
these aren't used by any of the "standard" software supplied by NCR. We use
them for development, but compared to Berkeley symbolic links, they are not
complete (particularly with respect to linking directories).

Nicholas Jacobs
UUCP: ...!uunet!toro!nick Internet: toro!nick@uunet.uu.net
AT&T: (212) 236-3230