[comp.bugs.sys5] Looking for patch for -out of inodes- bug

rlister@cti1.UUCP (Lister) (08/01/90)

+>fkk@wynge.Central.Sun.COM (Frank Kaefer - Sun Germany CSD - Munich) writes:
+>>del@fnx.UUCP (Dag Erik Lindberg) writes:
+>
+>| In a nutshell: When news is unbatching, at some point the number of free
+>| inodes suddenly goes to zero, and the news starts trying to fill the bit
+>| bucket on the floor.  Killing rnews, unmounting the file system, fsck'ing,
+>| and remounting brings back the free inodes.  The problem occurs at a random
+>| time, from a hundred articles to a couple of thousand articles.  The problem
+>
+
+Both of these sound like the now famous system V inode problem, if you
+have a source license I can send you some patchs that will fix the
+problem.
+
+Below is a file from Mayer Ilovitz that describes the problem in some
+detail.  I redid ialloc() if any source licensees want it.  Otherwise
+if your system exhibits this problem I would contact your vendor. Send
+'em this code, tell 'em where to get a fix etc, etc..
+
+Kudos to mayer, his description of the problem was right on.
+
+doug
+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+~From: mayer@cooper.cooper.EDU (Mayer Ilovitz )
+~Subject: Analysis & test for 3b inode problem: applies to ALL users of SYSTEM V

[************* lengthy test procedure omitted *****************]

   It took us a while to get around to testing our system for this bug.
When we did, it failed as described.  So now I'm looking for the patch
mentioned above to forward to our software support center to see if they
can patch up the kernel for us and issue a new OS to us.
   My mail to doug@letni.UUCP (Doug Davis) bounces.  So, if you see this,
Mr. Davis (or anyone else who may have it), please email to me if possible.

Thanks.   Russ Lister