[comp.bugs.sys5] Reference ports, etc.

>Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to that (yet).  ICL did send
>(nearly) complete V.4 SPARC source code with bug fixes back to
>AT&T,

Good!

>and then AT&T took that over to produce the SPARC reference
>source, making various other changes of their own.

So does this mean that one orders the SPARC reference port source from
AT&T (or USL)?  (Anybody know if, say, Unisoft did the same for the 68K
and 88K ports?)

>This whole area does seem a little weak to me.  There are some
>areas of the source tree which are radically different from one
>port to another, to the extent of offering completely different
>facilities.  (One such area is the compilation system; for example,
>the current SPARC version does not support COFF,

"Current" SPARC version?  Since no officially-released SPARC systems
that I know of used COFF, I'm not sure there's a good reason for *any*
SPARC S5R4 version to bother with COFF.

>and has a radically different C code generator and optimiser from the
>other machines).

Yup, good old "iropt"/"cg", I suspect.  The same will probably be true
of any MIPS "official"/"reference" port; it'll probably use MIPS's
compilers.

The code generator and optimizer, and probably assembler, I can see
having little in common between machines (although many of the machines
may share large common parts of a retargetable code
generator/optimizer/assembler - "iropt" is actually used by Sun on both
68K and SPARC, and was in fact originally done for the Sun FORTRAN
compiler for Sun-2/Sun-3).  I suspect most machines can share the
linker, though, and much of the front end of the compiler (ANSI C is
ANSI C is ANSI C, etc.) - as well as most of the libraries, most of the
kernel, and most of the commands.

>I believe that most of the porting groups have sent their code back
>to AT&T, but there does appear to be some delay in the merging of
>these - if indeed AT&T have any intent of doing such a merge.

I sure *hope* they do, so that N UNIX vendors don't have to invent the
same wheel N times....

ndjc@hobbit.UUCP (Nick Crossley) (01/15/91)

In article <5208@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>So does this mean that one orders the SPARC reference port source from
>AT&T (or USL)?
Yes.

>"Current" SPARC version?  Since no officially-released SPARC systems
>that I know of used COFF, I'm not sure there's a good reason for *any*
>SPARC S5R4 version to bother with COFF.
I believe that's what Sun and AT&T thought, but I can imagine
existing COFF-producing retargetable code generators and other such
tools which could be ported to SPARC much more easily if the supplier
did not have to change object formats at the same time.  In fact,
I have had to work on one such beast.

>Yup, good old "iropt"/"cg", I suspect.
Correct.  One side effect of this is that some of the SGS fringe tools
such as function inlining, line profiling, etc., work very differently
on SPARC and, say, 3B2.
--

<<< standard disclaimers >>>
Nick Crossley, ICL NA, 9801 Muirlands, Irvine, CA 92718-2521, USA 714-458-7282

>I believe that's what Sun and AT&T thought, but I can imagine
>existing COFF-producing retargetable code generators and other such
>tools which could be ported to SPARC much more easily if the supplier
>did not have to change object formats at the same time.

That's one nice thing about having your compilers generate assembler
code rather than object code - they don't have to know quite so much
about object-file formats, because they leave that knowledge up to the
assembler....