[comp.bugs.sys5] uucp dies on Files bigger than 2MB in Unix 5.4

root@gold.sub.org (Christian Seyb) (04/07/91)

Hello,

I am using Unix 5 version 4.0.2. It is not possible to do uucp
transfers with files bigger than 2MB. This is also mentioned in the
release notes.

Does anybody know what the cause of the problem is? I did have a look
at cntrl.c and uucico.c, but didn't find anything. It happens to be
independent from the protocoll I use.

reagrds Christian
--
cs@gold.sub.org

dick@ahds.UUCP (Dick Heijne CCS/TS) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.165734.6217@gold.sub.org>, root@gold.sub.org (Christian Seyb) writes:

> I am using Unix 5 version 4.0.2. It is not possible to do uucp
> transfers with files bigger than 2MB. This is also mentioned in the
> release notes.

What machine implementation ? What errors do you get ? Where does the
protocol fail ? Does it startup in the first place or do you get an abort
while sending/receiving ? On all transfers or only while sending ? or
receiving ? Is it HDB uucp or some V7 implementation ? FACTS please!

I plan to migrate these days from V.3 to V.4. The occurence of this problem
might stop me from doing that...
Please give me more details!

regards,
Dick.

debra@wsinfo11.info.win.tue.nl (Paul De Bra) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr7.165734.6217@gold.sub.org> root@gold.sub.org (Christian Seyb) writes:
>I am using Unix 5 version 4.0.2. It is not possible to do uucp
>transfers with files bigger than 2MB. This is also mentioned in the
>release notes.

The system-defined ULIMIT is set in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune and
/etc/conf/cf.d/mtune. The default is 2Mbyte.
Since uucico doesn't run suid root it cannot raise its ulimit.

The solution should be (i didn't try this) to change the ULIMIT
in the files mentioned above and then remake the kernel
(/etc/conf/bin/idbuild). I have mine set to 50000 instead of the
defualt 4096.
Reboot after the kernel build.

Paul.
(debra@win.tue.nl)

Sounds like a ULIMIT problem.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com

peter@micromuse.co.uk (Peter Galbavy) (04/11/91)

In article <1876@svin02.info.win.tue.nl> debra@info.win.tue.nl writes:
>The solution should be (i didn't try this) to change the ULIMIT
>in the files mentioned above and then remake the kernel
>(/etc/conf/bin/idbuild). I have mine set to 50000 instead of the
>defualt 4096.
>Reboot after the kernel build.

The first thing that came to mind was the ULIMIT tuning, but why does
it state that this is a problem so explictly in the manual
(installation guide - if memory serves). Has anyone actually tries
this.

On a related note - I am about to try V.4 to replace Interactive
3.2... so uucp files are important (I do REGULARLY move files > 2MB
over a PEP link). Also, any problems with C-News, MMDF etc ? I know
there are groups for this - but as a slightly related topic I thought
I would ask.

Regards,

--
Peter Galbavy
Tech Support, Micromuse Ltd

Disclaimer: Time flies like an arrow... Fruit flies like a banana