[comp.bugs.4bsd] 4.3/newfs/RA80 sizes

cattani@columbia.UUCP (Bob Cattani) (12/09/86)

4.3 Unix

Has anybody had problems newfs'ing the RA80 partitions at the end of
the disk (e and h)?

uda(4) and /sys/vaxuba/uda.c both indicate the size of the disk (c
partition) is 242,606 blocks.  The RA80 User Guide says the disk has
236,964 blocks.  Judging from the hard errors I'm getting, I'd say the
driver and /etc/disktab are wrong.

Do I hear a witness?

-Bob Cattani, Columbia Univ. CS Dept.
 (cattani@columbia.edu, ...!seismo!columbia!cattani)

evs@duke.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <4081@columbia.UUCP> cattani@columbia.UUCP (Bob Cattani) writes:

>uda(4) and /sys/vaxuba/uda.c both indicate the size of the disk (c
>partition) is 242,606 blocks.  The RA80 User Guide says the disk has
>236,964 blocks.  Judging from the hard errors I'm getting, I'd say the
>driver and /etc/disktab are wrong.

We use 237212 sectors for the c partition on our RA80 and we have had no
problems reading the end of the disk.  I got this number by reading the
end of the c partition using dd and examining the diagnostic output.
I think the c partition is supposed to include the bad sector forwarding
info and maybe the RA80 manual doesn't inlcude this when it lists the
disk size.
--
{decvax, seismo}!mcnc!duke!evs
Ed Simpson, P.O.Box 3140, Duke Univ. Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710