[comp.bugs.4bsd] TC11/Cypher Tape Drive Problem

rr@gt-cmmsr.UUCP (01/28/87)

I am having trouble with my Cypher 920 tape drive and Emulex TC11 controller
under 4.3 BSD Unix (the problem did not show itself until I brought up 4.3)
on a VAX 11/780.  The problem shows itself by giving a Bus Grant Late <BGL>
error whenever I do a tape dump or tar at 1600 bpi.  Whenever I use 800 bpi,
everything works fine.  DEC replaced the PE card (but not the controller card)
with the same BGL error.

Strange Happenings:

	When I take the system down to single user, 1600 bpi works fine
	with tar.  Dump, however, complains that it runs out of tape <EOT>
	after 1666 feet when it has actually run through 2300 feet.

	I recompiled the 4.2 version of dump under 4.3 and tried to do a
	tape dump in multiuser mode.  On occasion I got through a couple
	of tapes without getting the EOT error, however, I still got the
	BGL error most of the time.  Under single user,  dump4.2 works
	fine.

	I only have one tape drive on my system.  When I boot the generic
	version of unix supplied with the 4.3 distribution, however, I get
	2 drives identified (Normally, only 1 shows up):

		tm0 at uba0 csr 172520 vec 224, ipl 15
		te0 at tm0 slave 0
		te1 at tm0 slave 1

	All other devices on the system are identified with the correct
	number under the generic unix.

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate the help.  Thanks.

-Richard

--
Richard Robison

UUCP:	rr@gt-cmmsr.UUCP
        ...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!gt-cmmsr!rr
INTERNET:	rr@cmmsr.gatech.edu

djh@cci632.UUCP (02/02/87)

In article <31585@gt-cmmsr.GATECH.EDU>, rr@gt-cmmsr.UUCP writes:

> I am having trouble with my Cypher 920 tape drive and Emulex TC11 controller
> under 4.3 BSD Unix (the problem did not show itself until I brought up 4.3)
> on a VAX 11/780.  The problem shows itself by giving a Bus Grant Late <BGL>
> error whenever I do a tape dump or tar at 1600 bpi.  Whenever I use 800 bpi,
> everything works fine.  DEC replaced the PE card (but not the controller card)
> with the same BGL error.

We also ran into the same problem here. As it turns out, the 4.3bsd uda50
driver increases the DMA Burst size from the default of 0 to 3. This causes
it to hog the bus for extended periods, during which the TC-11 stretches out
the Iter-Record Gap. To fix the problem change the line the reads:

	#define UDABURST 4

to read:

	#define UDABURST 2

I'm writing up a formal bug report to send to Berkeley.

Dan Hazekamp
Computer Consoles Inc.
Rochester , NY
seismo!rochester!cci632!djh

chris@mimsy.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <908@cci632.UUCP> djh@cci632.UUCP (Daniel J. Hazekamp) writes:
>... As it turns out, the 4.3bsd uda50 driver increases the DMA Burst
>size from the default of 0 to 3.

The default is actually 1 word.  It is increased to 4 words.  This
raises the peak transfer rate from ~550K/s to ~750K/s.  But anyway...

>This causes it to hog the bus for extended periods, during which the
>TC-11 stretches out the Inter-Record Gap. To fix the problem change
>the line the reads:
>
>	#define UDABURST 4
>
>to read:
>
>	#define UDABURST 2

There is an easier way, though it will not last past the next kernel
recompile:

	% adb -w /vmunix
	udaburst?W 2
	_udaburst:
	_udaburst:	0	=		2
	$q
	% shutdown
	# fastboot

If you have multiple UDA50s---why bother; actual I/O rate per drive
seems to peak around 125K/s, so 4 drives will consume < 500K/s,
which is below the bus rate---but if you have more than one UDA50,
this will change only the first's burst rate.  Add a `udaburst+4?W
2' to set uda1, and a `udaburst+8?W 2' to set uda2, and so forth.

This will, however, slow down your UDA50 accesses.  Perhaps a better
fix is to mark the TC11 as a `bus hog' a la the RK07s.  Alas, the
4.3BSD UDA50 driver ignores the bus locking protocol.  A fix (or
more precisely, a replacement UDA50 driver) is forthcoming.  (Yes,
we finally started installing 4.3 here yesterday.)

(Another alternative is to move the TC11 and the UDA50 to separate
Unibi, of course.)
UUCP:	seismo!mimsy!chris	ARPA/CSNet:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu