[comp.bugs.4bsd] Chris Torek's control-T package

vix@ubvax.UUCP (05/29/87)

This is a neat package, one I have used before on my Symmetric and on
various CFC machines at Berkeley.  I am very reluctant to install it
here (Ungermann-Bass) though.  I've applied every patch from ucb-fixes;
I think of these as "official", and I know that the patches are all
serialized -- so they always install correctly.

As much as I'd enjoy having a working control-T, I don't want to have to
back out Chris' patch whenever I need to install a bsd-fixes patch --
which I would have to do, some time down the road, when UCB patches a
section of code that Chris' patch has altered.

So, what can I do?  Who do I see about getting UCB to officiate this
patch, so I can use it?  Or, alternatively, what am I missing here?
--
Paul Vixie
Consultant		(408) 562-7985

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/30/87)

In article <1293@ubvax.UUCP> vix@ubvax.UUCP (Paul Vixie) writes:
>... As much as I'd enjoy having a working control-T, I don't want to have to
>back out Chris' patch whenever I need to install a bsd-fixes patch --
>which I would have to do, some time down the road, when UCB patches a
>section of code that Chris' patch has altered.

We---by which I mean the University of MD CS Department---keep all
our kernel sources in RCS, so that we can retrieve Berkeley revisions
so as to see just what was changed, and properly merge any conflicting
changes.  This is time-consuming but not difficult.  (In other words,
it is a royal pain, but when ya just gotta have a feature. . . .)

No one at Berkeley really wants to uglify the tty driver yet more.
Someone will probably rewrite the whole thing sometime soon.  Maybe
(if someone can jar certain AT&T stigmata loose from SysV licencing,
or if someone reimplments them from existing descriptions) we can
use streams and do it right instead.  Ah well.
Domain:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu	Path:	seismo!mimsy!chris

dpz@aramis.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (05/31/87)

Paul,

For a background, we have had the ^T code installed here for ages now,
along with zillions of other hacks, additions, and bug fixes to 4.2,
local and foreign.  You seem to put a high importance on purity of the
code and need of additions being officiated by UCB, but I don't see
the necessity of this.  "Official" and "serialized" don't always mean
that they will install correctly.  That only comes from professional
work.  "Serialized" just keeps them indexed, and "official" means
nothing.

Why would you have to back out of an external patch when you have to
install a UCB correction to the same region?  Just look at the code
for each and figure out what the correct thing is.  Yes, it might
generate some conflict, but if you keep .ORIG files and a changes
history around, that situation is, from experience, fixable without
too much trouble.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu