[comp.bugs.4bsd] NP100 Ethernet Controller problem under 4.3BSD

rd@lri.lri.fr (Roland Dirlewanger) (07/17/87)

Hi there,

We have just installed a Micom/Interlan NP100 Ethernet board on our
VAX 11/750 running 4.3BSD. After rebooting the Vax, the controller worked
for one or two days, then failed to respond, though both of the green LEDs
were on.

I tried to reset it with the usual sequence:
	ifconfig ix0 down
	npload np.image
	sleep 10
	ifconfig ix0 up
This helped only for a few minutes, then the controller failed again.

I was first suspecting the controller itself, because the first time we
installed it, the LEDs were showing a kernel failure. We sent the board
back to the distributor for repair.

Before sending it back again, I would like to know from other NP100 users
if they encountered the same problems, and how they solved it.
Does someone know how to use the npdump facility ?

Thanks for your help.
--
Roland Dirlewanger
Universite Paris-Sud, LRI - Batiment 490, 91405 Orsay Cedex - France

sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) (07/30/87)

In article <186@lri.lri.fr> rd@lri.lri.fr (Roland Dirlewanger) writes:

>Hi there,
>
>We have just installed a Micom/Interlan NP100 Ethernet board on our
>VAX 11/750 running 4.3BSD. After rebooting the Vax, the controller worked
>for one or two days, then failed to respond, though both of the green LEDs
>were on.
>
>I tried to reset it with the usual sequence:
>	ifconfig ix0 down
>	npload np.image
>	sleep 10
>	ifconfig ix0 up
>This helped only for a few minutes, then the controller failed again.

I noticed the same problem which appeared to be "fixed" by powering down
the Unibus and powering it up, again. Not very satisfactory.

I've also noticed that if I have two boards in the same Unibus with CSRs
of 166000 and 166020 (as suggested by the manual), both fail the initial
diagnostics AND none of the devices further down the Unibus are configured
in at boot time. Removing the second board fixes the autoconf problem,
though npload never finishes.

A couple of other points: Around April there was a revision made to the
Berkeley NP100 code which you may want to get a copy of. In particular,
the driver and pseudo-driver were affected. Also, I would love to have
a copy of the sources for np.image (and a cross compiler for the CPU),
but I don't know if these are available. The Berkeley distributed code
comes from MICOM.

Interestingly, we actually bought two of these boards but MICOM tried to
talk us out of them. Their contention was that there was little or no benefit
to the intelligent controller in the BSD Unix environment because most of
the protocol stuff is handled in the kernel. For that reason, they recommended
two NT1010s. We chose the 100's because we wanted a hedge against future
"enhancements" in the Unix environment which might make use of the
sophistication of the board. We had hoped to make use of the intelligence
in a network of NFS machines where some were Vaxen (on one controller),
and the others were Suns (the second controller).

A final note. We have since had the opportunity to compare the NP100 to
the Excelan EXOS 304 Controller. Both controllers are on the same Unibus
and traffic on the networks is roughly equivalent. I would be happy to
discuss my observations on the comparison with interested parties. Note
that we have received no compensation from either Micom or Excelan for this
trial.

Sean McLinden
Decision Systems Laboratory
University of Pittsburgh
(412) 648-9600

rd@lri.lri.fr (Roland Dirlewanger) (08/05/87)

In article <758@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU>, sean@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Sean McLinden) writes:
> In article <186@lri.lri.fr> rd@lri.lri.fr (Roland Dirlewanger) writes:

 [Description of the strange behaviour of the 4.3BSD generic NP100's driver]

> I noticed the same problem which appeared to be "fixed" by powering down
> the Unibus and powering it up, again. Not very satisfactory.
> A couple of other points: Around April there was a revision made to the
> Berkeley NP100 code which you may want to get a copy of. In particular,
> the driver and pseudo-driver were affected.

I got the new version of the driver. It solved all the problems.

> Interestingly, we actually bought two of these boards but MICOM tried to
> talk us out of them. Their contention was that there was little or no benefit
> to the intelligent controller in the BSD Unix environment because most of
> the protocol stuff is handled in the kernel. For that reason, they recommended
> two NT1010s.

I think they had some problems with the software at the beginning. Although
the NP100 was said to work under 4.2BSD, the French distributor of
Micom/Interlan products strongly encouraged us to switch to 4.3BSD before
installing the board.

I don't know if the NP100 board really improves the transfert rate on the
Ethernet, but there are almost two major reasons why I didn't want an
NI1010 board:

	1/ the NI1010 requires more electrical power from the
	   Unibus as the NP100 (NI1010: 6.7 A, NP100: 4.5 A)

	2/ the NI1010 is not 802.3 compatible. So you can't connect the
	   NI1010 board to a Fan-Out unit (this kind of boxes acting
	   like eight different transceivers).
	   You need to put it on a separate transceiver, handling both
	   Ethernet 1 and 802.3 (like Interlan's NT100 transceiver)

Since I installed the new driver, I'm quite happy with the NP100.

> Also, I would love to have
> a copy of the sources for np.image (and a cross compiler for the CPU),
> but I don't know if these are available. The Berkeley distributed code
> comes from MICOM.

Me too. I also would also like to know how to use the npdump facility.

--
Roland Dirlewanger				Tel: (1) 69 41 66 20
UNIVERSITE PARIS-SUD - LRI - Batiment 490	E-mail: rd@sun1.lri.fr