[comp.bugs.4bsd] SUN's dump question

mangler@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Don Speck) (11/12/87)

In article <168@tarski.quintus.UUCP>, gregg@quintus.UUCP (W. Gregg Stefancik) writes:
> What happens if nothing has changed on /dev/rxy0e?  Does dump still create a
> dump tape file for this device or does it just ignore the command

When Pass I selects no files at all for dumping (such as if you've
just finished a level 0 dump), Pass II selects every directory that
has subdirectories, and restore chokes on the resulting dump.  (Or
was it every directory that *doesn't* have subdirectories?  I haven't
seen this in a while, it was on a vax, but I seriously doubt that
Sun has fixed it).

Workaround:  create a file in each filesystem before starting.

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,scgvaxd}!cit-vax!speck