[comp.bugs.4bsd] Bug "vi -r" ??

greg@ntvax.UUCP (02/22/88)

 Does anyone know of a problem with the -r option of vi with 4.3BSD ?

Greg

 /*---------------------------------------------------------------
  Greg Jones                           University of North Texas
  Research Systems Administrator       Denton, Tx
  Dept of Computer Science             76203
  Phone : (817) 565-2279
  UUCP  : {convex,infoswx}!ntvax!greg
  Plink : greg
  Bix   : gregj
 ---------------------------------------------------------------*/

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (02/25/88)

In article <27000001@ntvax> greg@ntvax.UUCP writes:

> Does anyone know of a problem with the -r option of vi with 4.3BSD ?
>
>Greg

Well, you DO have to write the file before you quit.  Not doing so loses
the recovered text.  This could probably be considered pilot error the
second time it happens to a user.

-bob.

dhb@rayssd.ray.com (David H. Brierley) (02/26/88)

In article <43112@sun.uucp> rdh@sun.UUCP (Robert Hartman) writes:
>In article <27000001@ntvax> greg@ntvax.UUCP writes:
>> Does anyone know of a problem with the -r option of vi with 4.3BSD ?
>Well, you DO have to write the file before you quit.  Not doing so loses
>the recovered text.  This could probably be considered pilot error the
>second time it happens to a user.

What we did here was to modify vi so that when you use the -r flag it
automatically sets the flag indicating that the file has been changed.
The impact of this on the user is that if they try to quit without doing
a write they will get a message to that effect.  If you think about it
for a while this method makes a lot of sense since the file is only
preserved if you have made changes to it.
--
David H. Brierley
Raytheon Submarine Signal Division / 1847 West Main Road / Portsmouth, RI 02871

Phone:      (401)-847-8000 x4073
Internet:   dhb@rayssd.ray.com
Uucp:       {cbosgd, decuac, gatech, necntc, sun, uiucdcs, ukma} !rayssd!dhb

rdh@sun.uucp (Robert Hartman) (02/26/88)

In article <1834@rayssd.ray.com> dhb@rayssd.RAY.COM (David H. Brierley) writes:
>In article <43112@sun.uucp> rdh@sun.UUCP (Robert Hartman) writes:
>>In article <27000001@ntvax> greg@ntvax.UUCP writes:
>>> Does anyone know of a problem with the -r option of vi with 4.3BSD ?
>>Well, you DO have to write the file before you quit.  ...
>
>What we did here was to modify vi so that when you use the -r flag it
>automatically sets the flag indicating that the file has been changed.
>The impact of this on the user is that if they try to quit without doing
>a write they will get a message to that effect.  If you think about it
>for a while this method makes a lot of sense since the file is only
>preserved if you have made changes to it.

I think that this arguably the right way to handle it.  It is consistent with
vi's behavior in all other cases where modifications have occurred.  -bob.