[comp.bugs.4bsd] Interlan drops a byte?

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (08/21/88)

Has anybody else seen a 4.3BSD VAX with an Interlan Ethernet interface
drop a byte of data?  Well, that's what we're seeing.

For example, if you

	% rsh remotehost cat 183_byte_file

and the remotehost is a 4.3/Interlan host, the rsh will fail.

If you look at a packet on the wire, say, with etherfind or tcpdump,
the IP header claims there are 223 bytes (183+40 TCP/IP headers), which
is correct.  Yet there are really only 222 bytes of data in the packet.
Hmm.

Futhermore other file sizes fail.  It appears that if (n%256 == 183)
where n is the number of bytes in the above rsh, then TCP/IP fails
because a byte is dropped from the data.

If we replace the Interlan with a DEUNA, all is as it should be.

Any ideas?

--
Fletcher Mattox 	fletcher@cs.utexas.edu	 cs.utexas.edu!fletcher

dennis@rlgvax.UUCP (Dennis.Bednar) (08/23/88)

In article <3210@cs.utexas.edu>, fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:

> If you look at a packet on the wire, say, with etherfind or tcpdump,

Say, these "ethernet sniffer" tools sound like very useful tools.
Do these tools run on the UNIX machine, or on a PC?  Is source
available? Tell me more about them.  Thanks.

--
FullName:	Dennis Bednar
UUCP:		{uunet|sundc}!rlgvax!dennis

pierre@imag.imag.fr (Pierre LAFORGUE) (08/23/88)

In article <3210@cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
>Has anybody else seen a 4.3BSD VAX with an Interlan Ethernet interface
>drop a byte of data?  Well, that's what we're seeing.
>For example, if you
>	% rsh remotehost cat 183_byte_file
>and the remotehost is a 4.3/Interlan host, the rsh will fail.

Your report is not very accurate; I think it depends of the Interlan
interface.
Here, we are using the both types: NI1010A and NP100. Both work well (I tried
your test, of course).
May be your problem comes from your software driver. For instance, the original
BSD4.3 NP100 driver was bugged.
You may ask Un. of Berkeley for the updated driver.
--
Pierre LAFORGUE
pierre@imag.imag.fr      pierre@imag.UUCP      uunet.uu.net!imag!pierre

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (08/28/88)

In article <3334@imag.imag.fr> pierre@imag.UUCP (Pierre LAFORGUE) writes:
>In article <3210@cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
>>Has anybody else seen a 4.3BSD VAX with an Interlan Ethernet interface
>>drop a byte of data?  Well, that's what we're seeing.
>>For example, if you
>>	% rsh remotehost cat 183_byte_file
>>and the remotehost is a 4.3/Interlan host, the rsh will fail.
>

>Your report is not very accurate;

Well, no.  The report is quite accurate.  Maybe it's not as complete
as it could have been, though.  :-)

	card:		Interlan BD-N11010, rev C, assy rev A, S.N A-103.
	transceiver:	Interlan NA1010
	driver:		@(#)if_de.c     7.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/86

It does appear that nobody else has seen this, so I'm still a little
puzzled.  Someone did mention that Interlan shipped some bad cards
about five years ago which had a similar problem.  Our card is
at least that old.  Anyway, I've quite worrying about it and just
replaced it with a DEUNA, since we have plenty of those.

Thanks to all who responded.

Fletcher

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (08/28/88)

In article <3237@cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox)
 writes:
>	card:		Interlan BD-N11010, rev C, assy rev A, S.N A-103.
>	transceiver:	Interlan NA1010
>	driver:		@(#)if_de.c     7.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/86

  Well, I think you're going to have an enormous amount of difficulty
trying to use if_de.c with your Interlan.  Why don't you try if_il.c?
And as someone mentioned earlier, you should grab the latest copy of that
driver since there were some significant bugs in the copy distributed
with 4.3BSD.

Casey

fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) (08/28/88)

>>	driver:		@(#)if_de.c     7.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/86

Um, make that:

	driver:		@(#)if_il.c     7.1 (Berkeley) 6/5/86

casey@admin.cognet.ucla.edu (Casey Leedom) (08/29/88)

In article <15566@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> (casey@cs.ucla.edu) I write:
>   Well, I think you're going to have an enormous amount of difficulty
> trying to use if_de.c with your Interlan.  Why don't you try if_il.c?
> And as someone mentioned earlier, you should grab the latest copy of that
> driver since there were some significant bugs in the copy distributed
> with 4.3BSD.

> From: Chris Torek <chris@gyre.umd.edu>
> Apparently Interlan makes a DEUNA-style board.  Also, the major bugs
> were in if_np.c, not if_il.c ...

  Opps!  I should know better too.  Thanks for the correction.

Casey

scott@h-three.UUCP (scott) (08/31/88)

In article <3210@cs.utexas.edu> fletcher@cs.utexas.edu (Fletcher Mattox) writes:
>Has anybody else seen a 4.3BSD VAX with an Interlan Ethernet interface
>drop a byte of data?  Well, that's what we're seeing.

I've seen Micom/Interlan Ethernet controllers drop bytes. I've seen
them loose a bit, left shifting subsequent data by a bit. Somehow, these
errors were not caught by any of their protocol error checking.

Micom/Interlan claims that fixes are/were in the works. BTW, this was
observed on a Multibus I board.

--
Scott H. Crenshaw			scott%h-three@uunet.uu.net
h-three Systems Corporation             uunet!h-three!scott