[comp.bugs.4bsd] Why does an extra quotaon crash my 11/780?

news@amdcad.AMD.COM (Network News) (09/07/88)

I finished setting up quotas on an 11/780 running 4.3, and typed
"/etc/quotaon -v -a".

Instantly the console proclaimed: "panic: closedq: stray dquot" and the
VAX rebooted.  Turns out that quotas were already enabled, but neither
quotaon(8), setquota(2), nor the kernel's quota system seem to check or
care.

I examined the code for quotaon, setquota, and the kernel code for some
time, and there is no hint of a check.

Did I miss something?   Is this a known "gotcha"?

Curious at best.

-Jim Hayes                         Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., Sunnyvale CA.
                                   hayes@amdcad.amd.com
/earth: file system full           {ucbvax|sun|decwrl}!amdcad!hayes
                                   These are not opinions of AMD.

kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) (09/08/88)

In article <22862@amdcad.AMD.COM>, news@amdcad.AMD.COM (Network News) writes:
> Turns out that quotas were already enabled, but neither quotaon(8),
> setquota(2), nor the kernel's quota system seem to check or care.

The intention is that you should be able to use quota(2) to switch from one
quota file to another, without losing any data, though exactly why I thought
this would be a useful thing to do is a mystery to me now.

Re-enabling the same quota file should be a harmless no-op.

The kernel is supposed to hadle it (the test is the first executable line
in opendq() in quota_kern.c), though I must admit to not having tested
this in quite a long time.

kre