[comp.bugs.4bsd] panic: ttyrub

joe@haddock.ima.isc.com (Joe Chapman) (09/30/88)

stanonik@nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik) writes:
> We're running 4.3bsd on a vax 780.  Recently we had a panic: ttyrub.
> The tty was a pseudo tty and the panicky application was telnetd.
> The user on that tty was dbx'ing a seeminly innocuous application.

The culprit appears to be a missing case statement in ttyrub(); we've
been running with this fix:

*** tty.c~	Thu Jun  5 03:09:35 1986
--- tty.c	Wed Jun 15 10:39:29 1988
***************
*** 1506,1511 ****
--- 1506,1512 ----
  		case BACKSPACE:
  		case CONTROL:
  		case RETURN:
+ 		case NEWLINE:
  			if (tp->t_flags&CTLECH)
  				ttyrubo(tp, 2);
  			break;

--
Joe Chapman	Interactive Systems	Boston
joe@haddock.ima.isc.com

stanonik@nprdc.arpa (Ron Stanonik) (10/05/88)

I thought about adding NEWLINE to the case in ttyrub(),
but is that a good idea?  In this case, a NEWLINE got
through the cooked mode processing.  That shouldn't
happen, so something is wrong.  Failing to understand
how that happened, the next question is, is it worth
panic'ing?  That is, if ignored (by adding it to the
case) can something worse happen.

Thanks,

Ron
stanonik@nprdc.arpa