[comp.bugs.4bsd] hosts.equiv considered harmful

hwt@bnr-public.uucp (Henry Troup) (11/18/88)

I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
***trust everyone***  Surprise!

So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
box systems are not well secured.

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt@bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (99700000) (11/20/88)

In article <185@bnr-fos.UUCP> hwt@bnr-public.UUCP (Henry Troup) writes:
>I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
>file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
>***trust everyone***  Surprise!
>
>So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
>box systems are not well secured.

At the recent Usenix security workshop this was the #1 complaint that
we asked the vendors present to take back to their companies.  There was
one man from Sun there - most other vendors were less well represented.

A second point was that vendors ought to have one contact person for
all security-related problems, rather than farming them out to developers
who handle the individual pieces of software separately.
haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle