[comp.bugs.4bsd] 4.3 BSD disk formatter problem on 11/730

edvax@alpha.ces.cwru.edu (12/30/88)

I am trying to bring up BSD 4.3 on a VAX 11/730.  The standalone formatter
that comes with the system, only formats 'up' type disk drives.
This 730 has the following system configuration:
	3Mb mem
	IDC R80 (124 Mb), RL02 (10Mb)
	2 Deunas
	1 TU80 tape drive

I have recompiled 730format in /sys/stand to include 'rb' type drives.
When the format program is loaded and started at 2, it does recognize
rb(0,0) as the device to be formatted. However, when it comes time to
actually format the disk, nothing happens, i.e. is starts formatting and
then prints "Done" right away.  It doesn't appear to be finding the IDC.

Is there any way I can format the R80?

Thanks,

Time travel is so dangerous it makes H-bombs seem like perfectly
safe gifts for children and imbeciles.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (12/30/88)

In article <362@cwjcc.CWRU.Edu> edvax@alpha.ces.cwru.edu writes:
>I am trying to bring up BSD 4.3 on a VAX 11/730.  The standalone formatter
>that comes with the system, only formats 'up' type disk drives. ...
>Is there any way I can format the R80?

The supplied formatter is for `hp' (Massbuss) and `up' (Unibus) *non-DEC*
disks.  You have a DEC disk, so you are expected to use the DEC formatter
(it will have a strange name like `EVABC' or `ENABC'%).

(Actually, the supplied formatter works on a few DEC disks as well, but
in general is meant for those for which DEC do not supply a formatter.)

-----
% DEC Diagnostics are named according to their function:

	EV	Runs on any Vax
	ES	Runs on the `Star' (11/780)
	EC	Runs on the `Comet' (11/750)
	EN	Runs on the `Nebula' (11/730)
	ED	Runs on the `Venus' (8600) (well, D was taken)

I have forgotten or never knew the names for the others.  The three-
letter suffix seems to have no applicable rhyme.