[net.music] Rush's New album - Release date?

cew@duke.UUCP (Eric Williford) (09/30/85)

Does anyone know when Rush's latest album, supposedly titled "Power
Windows", is to be nationally released?  The first single has been
released, at least as a demo for radio stations, so it seems a release
date can't be to far behind.  Geddy, Neil, or Alex, are you there?

    RRRRRRR     U      U      SSSSSSS      H      H      !
    R     R     U      U      S            H      H      !
    RRRRRR      U      U      SSSSSSS      HHHHHHHH      !
    R     R     U      U            S      H      H      !
    R     R     UUUUUUUU      SSSSSSS      H      H      *

"An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure "  Vital Signs - Moving Pictures

                                           Eric Williford
UUCP:  ..!decvax!mcnc!duke!cew
Duke University Comp. Center
Durham, NC 27706

salzman@rdlvax.UUCP (Gumby) (10/03/85)

In article <6370@duke.UUCP> cew@duke.UUCP (Eric Williford) writes:
>Does anyone know when Rush's latest album, supposedly titled "Power
>Windows", is to be nationally released?  The first single has been
>released, at least as a demo for radio stations, so it seems a release
>date can't be to far behind.  Geddy, Neil, or Alex, are you there?
>
>    RRRRRRR     U      U      SSSSSSS      H      H      !
>    R     R     U      U      S            H      H      !
>    RRRRRR      U      U      SSSSSSS      HHHHHHHH      !
>    R     R     U      U            S      H      H      !
>    R     R     UUUUUUUU      SSSSSSS      H      H      *
>
>"An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure "  Vital Signs - Moving Pictures
>

>                                           Eric Williford
>UUCP:  ..!decvax!mcnc!duke!cew
>Duke University Comp. Center
>Durham, NC 27706

Let's hear it for the Rush fans! I heard the new single on 9/26, it's
called "The Big Money". The album will probably be out next week
sometime. There's no official release date that I've heard though. By
the time this gets fully distributed along the net, it will probably be
out!

Now for a review of The Big Money, by a hard-core Rush fan:

From the looks (sounds) of this song, I have a feeling that Power
Windows is going to be their best album since Moving Pictures. The Big
Money incorporates sounds from each of the past 3 albums, Moving
Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure. The production is the Best
I've heard since M.P. It's very open and full sounding. The song has a
good mix of keyboards and guitar where neither drowns out the other.
Geddy is definitely going for some different keyboard sounds this time
around. It's a lot more 'Electric' sounding. Of course, Neal is now
getting into some even more interesting sounds with his electronic
drums. There's a good combination of acoustic, electronic, and other
percussion (cowbells, etc.) that's really interesting. Alex is his usual
self. He does some bizarre sounds during his solo - very chordal with
hormonics here and there. The song does sound a little disorderly during
the solo though. The keyboards drop out and it gets kinda cluttered I
think (with lotsa drums). I'd like to hear opinions from other people
too. All in all, I think this is a really good hard hitting tune that
goes from balls out (Tom Sawyer) to techno sound (Vital Signs) to the
light airy feeling that's present on Signals. Oh, and the vocals....
Geddy sounds GREAT! He's starting to sing with more balls again - and
there's some real nice stuff they do in the mix with harmonies during
the chorus, that really gives it that light airy open feeling. And his
bass playing is also as incredible as ever.... Well, enough said....

I'll probably post a review of the album when it comes out (soon!)....

 "...One likes to believe in the freedom of music. But glittering prizes
 and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity..."

			-Neal Peart (RUSH: from "The Spirit of Radio").

--
* Isaac Salzman (Gumby)
* UUCP: ...{ttidca,psivax}!rdlvax!salzman