[comp.bugs.4bsd] Problem with tapedriver

tvdl@bsiao.UUCP (Timo van der Laan) (07/19/89)

Configuration:  Vax 11/750 running Bsd4.3,
		Tapeunit Kennedy model 9400, driver ts (vaxuba).

We have a problem with our tapedrive. Sometimes when writing a tape
(at 6250 bpi) the device hangs at a random place.
From ps it can be seen that the tar command is waiting on rtsbuf.
The only way to cure the problem is to put the device offline and
try again.
Because this was happening a lot the last weeks (on one day 4 tries were
needed) we thought it was a hardware problem, but the diagnostics found
no problem.
I have never seen the problem while making a full dump (single user).

Is there anybody who knows what is happening?
Is there a way to get more info out of the driver?
Is there a known cure?

--
 Timo van der Laan, Postbank N.V., room 4.94             ...hp4nl!bsiao!tvdl
 Pb 21009

cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (07/20/89)

In article <519@bsiao.UUCP>, tvdl@bsiao.UUCP (Timo van der Laan) writes:

> Configuration:  Vax 11/750 running Bsd4.3,
> 		Tapeunit Kennedy model 9400, driver ts (vaxuba).
>
> We have a problem with our tapedrive. Sometimes when writing a tape
> (at 6250 bpi) the device hangs at a random place.
> From ps it can be seen that the tar command is waiting on rtsbuf.
> The only way to cure the problem is to put the device offline and
> try again.

I strongly suspect that you have a hardware problem.  I've been running a
Kennedy 9400 (TDQ-III controller) on a VAX-11/750 under both 4.2 and 4.3BSD
since 1984.  I've never encountered any form of hanging on this unit...

Hope this points you in the right direction -- good luck!

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Institute for Space Research   DOMAIN   : cliff@ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
The University of Calgary                 "If it's not fun, don't do it!"