[comp.bugs.4bsd] Mail loses messages

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (09/14/89)

Situation:  login, shell reports "you have mail."  Read mail (using
/usr/ucb/mail), enter "q".  The disk containing the mbox is full.  See
messages from kernel (write failed, file system is full).  Presumably
Mail got an error indication on the "write", but it went ahead and
cleared the incoming mailbox and reported "4 messages saved in mbox"
as if everything had worked properly.

Mail should *notice* that the write has failed, and preserve the incoming
mailbox.

This happened on SunOS 3.5 (derived from 4.2BSD).

pete@cantuar.UUCP (P. Glassenbury) (09/15/89)

In article <618@ccssrv.UUCP>, perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
> Situation:  login, shell reports "you have mail."  Read mail (using
> /usr/ucb/mail), enter "q".  The disk containing the mbox is full.  See
> messages from kernel (write failed, file system is full).
> This happened on SunOS 3.5 (derived from 4.2BSD).
		      ^^^^
Similar thing happened under SunOS4.0.1 -- saved mail to the mbox, file
system full,  and the mbox was TRUNCATED TO ZERO - Thank goodness for backups
(I might have been reading from the mbox)

Peter Glassenbury			Computer Science Dept.
pete@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz		University of Canterbury, NZ