[comp.bugs.4bsd] Problems with a dmf-device

tvdl@bsiao.UUCP (Timo van der Laan) (07/10/90)

We have a VAX 11/750 running BSD4.3. Since we use a trailblazer (for news),
the message "dmf0: silo overflow" gets printed rather often on the console.
The trailblazer operates at 19.2 Kb and is the only active 'terminal'
when the above message gets printed.
	Question 1: Is this a serious error?
	Question 2: Is there a way to prevent it?

The next problem is the strange behavior of the ttyh0 line (the first line).
It's a real pain to use that line. Output stops often, ^Q is then needed
to get something more on the screen. (Whenever I get connected to this line,
I use another one).
On other lines this problem almost never occurs.
	Question 3: What is the cause of this behavior?
	Question 4: Is there a cure?

--
 Timo van der Laan, Postbank N.V., room 4.94             ...hp4nl!bsiao!tvdl
 Pb 21009

In article <522@bsiao.UUCP> tvdl@bsiao.UUCP (Timo van der Laan) writes:
> We have a VAX 11/750 running BSD4.3. Since we use a trailblazer (for news),
> the message "dmf0: silo overflow" gets printed rather often on the console.
> The trailblazer operates at 19.2 Kb and is the only active 'terminal'
> when the above message gets printed.
> 	Question 1: Is this a serious error?
> 	Question 2: Is there a way to prevent it?

This isn't unusual - the dmf32 has a fairly small input buffer (silo) and the
750 probably can't keep up to incoming bursts.  On our 785 (Ultrix) we would
get these messages any time two uucp lines were active at 9600/19200 baud.

It's not serious as far as uucp is concerned, some incoming characters are
dropped but the protocol eventually recovers.  It is something of a problem
if you have activity on other lines on the DMF32, since other lines can also
lose input when the uucp line overflows the silo.

Some interfaces have larger silo's, but they all seem to be on the same order
of magnitude.  I switched to a Able DH11 emulator board, and the problem occured
much less frequently, but didn't go away.  Unfortunatly, the Ultrix DH11 driver
has some kind of bug that led to system crashes when it did overflow...

I'd suggest just ignoring the problem if you can, putting other serial lines
on a separate interface if you have difficulties.  You may also want to try
running the Trailblazer at 9600 baud - in many cases you'll only lose 20-30%
of the thruput, but also limit input burst rates.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (07/12/90)

In article <13144@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax (George Robbins) writes:
>This isn't unusual - the dmf32 has a fairly small input buffer (silo) and the
>750 probably can't keep up to incoming bursts.

It ought to be able to, though.  My DZ-11 driver was able to keep up on
a PDP-11/34.  Perhaps the driver is not peeking to see if there is
additional input before resuming from a DMF interrupt?  Note that some
interfaces require time for the silo to "settle" when an incoming byte
is removed, and the driver should be sure to not peek before the
settling time.  This problem seems fixable to me.