[comp.bugs.4bsd] SunOS 4.0 frexp

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (12/07/90)

We recently tried using a Sun-4 for the first time and immediately
discovered that frexp(0.0,...) goes into an infinite loop.  The
only SunOS source code I could find around here seems to indicate
that the frexp.c that I assume was used for the SPARC machine was
obtained via BSD, which is why I'm posting this here.

One wonders how frexp() could possibly have passed its pre-release
tests..

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (12/14/90)

In article <14671@smoke.brl.mil> gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>One wonders how frexp() could possibly have passed its pre-release
>tests..

Probably because nobody cares. TFM sez:

    DESCRIPTION
	These functions are provided for  compatibility  with  other
	UNIX  system  implementations.  They are not used internally
	in libm or libc.  Better ways to accomplish similar ends may
	be found in ieee_functions(3M) and rint(3M).

But of course, as we all know, all numbers are integers, and they
are the same size as pointers :-)

In fact, my interpreter based editor says that they are only 24 bits long :-)
--

	Root Boy Jim Cottrell <rbj@uunet.uu.net>
	Close the gap of the dark year in between

pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu (Paul Graham) (12/22/90)

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|We recently tried using a Sun-4 for the first time and immediately
|discovered that frexp(0.0,...) goes into an infinite loop.

the current version works as documented on the manual page.

--
pjg@acsu.buffalo.edu / rutgers!ub!pjg / pjg@ubvms (Bitnet)
opinions found above are mine unless marked otherwise.