[comp.bugs.4bsd] Bug in sort

david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) (04/11/91)

I have run into a bug in the sort(1) command on a Sun4 running SunOS 4.1.1.
This occurs both with /usr/bin/sort and /usr/5bin/sort. The problem also
appears on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix 2.0v2 (both ucb sort and att sort)
and finally with the sort command compiled using the 4.3-bsd tahoe sources.

The bug is as follows. I am trying to sort on the 2nd character of the second
field of a colon separated record. If this character compares equal I then
sort on the 1st character of the 2nd field.

/usr/bin/sort -t: +1.1 -1.2 +1.0 -1.1 <<!
abc:Ab:xyz
def:zA:pqr
!

This results in:

Script started on Thu Apr 11 13:16:57 1991
$ /usr/bin/sort -t: +1.1 -1.2 +1.0 -1.1 <<!
>abc:Ab:xyz
>def:zA:pqr
>!
abc:Ab:xyz
def:zA:pqr
$
script done on Thu Apr 11 13:17:11 1991

Which is incorrect. The same input to "sort +0.5 -0.6 +0.4 -0.5" will however
work (but is useless if the first field is not fixed length).

The problem appears to be in the skip function used to find the start and end
of sort keys. Patching it to add one to the end pointer fixes my problem but
may introduce other problems.
--
David Wilson	Dept Comp Sci, Uni of Wollongong	david@cs.uow.edu.au

paul@unhtel.unh.edu (Paul S. Sawyer) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr11.031926.19901@cs.uow.edu.au> david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) writes:
>I have run into a bug in the sort(1) command on a Sun4 running SunOS 4.1.1.
>This occurs both with /usr/bin/sort and /usr/5bin/sort. The problem also
>appears on a Sequent Symmetry running Dynix 2.0v2 (both ucb sort and att sort)
>and finally with the sort command compiled using the 4.3-bsd tahoe sources.
>
>The bug is as follows. I am trying to sort on the 2nd character of the second
>field of a colon separated record. If this character compares equal I then
>sort on the 1st character of the 2nd field.
>
>/usr/bin/sort -t: +1.1 -1.2 +1.0 -1.1 <<!
>abc:Ab:xyz
>def:zA:pqr
>!
>
>This results in:
>abc:Ab:xyz
>def:zA:pqr
>Which is incorrect. ...
>
>The problem appears to be in the skip function used to find the start and end
>of sort keys. Patching it to add one to the end pointer fixes my problem but
>may introduce other problems.

That is what you have to do.  If you RTFM very carefully, the bug is in the
IMPLEMENTATION, such that +m.n does not mean the same as -m.n !!  It seems
perverse, but you need:

	/usr/bin/sort -t: +1.1 -1.3 +1.0 -1.2

--
Paul S. Sawyer             {uunet,attmail}!unhtel!paul    paul@unhtel.unh.edu
UNH CIS - - Telecommunications and Network Services      VOX: +1 603 862 3262

gwyn@smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.031926.19901@cs.uow.edu.au> david@cs.uow.edu.au (David E A Wilson) writes:
>I have run into a bug in the sort(1) command on a Sun4 running SunOS 4.1.1.

No, it's just a feature.

>/usr/5bin/sort -t: +1.1 -1.2 +1.0 -1.1 <<!

That should have been
	sort -t: +1.1 -1.3 +1.0 -1.2
as documented and shown in an example in the SVR2 manual entry SORT(1).

This is admittedly a strange design that is hard to use correctly.
My guess is that it may have actually been meant to work differently
when it was first implemented, but now that the "sort" utility is in
wide use the specifications cannot be changed without breaking many
applications.