[comp.ai] Proposed: a split of this group

jbn@glacier.ARPA (John B. Nagle) (11/29/86)

     I would like to suggest that this group be split into two groups;
one about "doing AI" and one on "philosophising about AI", the latter
to contain the various discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers,
and suchlike.

					John Nagle

freeman@spar.SPAR.SLB.COM (Jay Freeman) (11/30/86)

I second the motion.

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (12/01/86)

Just suggested by jbn@glacier.UUCP (John Nagle):

>     I would like to suggest that this group be split into two groups;
>one about "doing AI" and one on "philosophising about AI", the latter
>to contain the various discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers,
>and suchlike.

Good idea.  I was beginning to think the discussions of "when is an
artifice intelligent" might belong in "talk.ai."  I was looking for
articles about how to do AI, and not finding any.  The trouble is,
"comp.ai.how-to" might have no traffic at all.

We seem to be trying to "create artificial intelligence," with the
intent that we can finally achieve success at some point (if only we
knew how to define success).  Why don't we just try always to create
something more intelligent than we created before?  That way we can not
only claim nearly instant success, but also continue to have further
successes without end.

Would the above question belong in "talk.ai" or "comp.ai.how-to"?

						Marty
M. B. Brilliant		(201)-949-1858
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	houem!marty1

brunner@sri-spam.istc.sri.com (Thomas Eric Brunner) (12/02/86)

In article <13316@glacier.ARPA> jbn@glacier.ARPA (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     I would like to suggest that this group be split into two groups;
>one about "doing AI" and one on "philosophising about AI", the latter
>to contain the various discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers,
>and suchlike.
>
>					John Nagle

	Thanks John, the noise on this line makes me wonder if there are
setient _people_ using the group. My kill file runeth over.

--
Cheers!
Thomas Eric Brunner				brunner@sri-spam.arpa.com

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (a) (12/02/86)

Split the groups!  Split the groups!  Boy, this sentient novel stuff is
just getting a _little_ out of hand (not to mention the Searle, Turing,
etc. philosophical arguments).  Once again: Split the groups!
--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

hogge@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/02/86)

>>     I would like to suggest that this group be split into two groups;
>>one about "doing AI" and one on "philosophising about AI", the latter
>>to contain the various discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers,
>>and suchlike.
>
>Good idea.  I was beginning to think the discussions of "when is an
>artifice intelligent" might belong in "talk.ai."  I was looking for
>articles about how to do AI, and not finding any.  The trouble is,
>"comp.ai.how-to" might have no traffic at all.

So let's name the two groups "comp.ai" and "comp.ai.bs"
--John

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) (12/03/86)

     [For the edification of the people in news.groups, a
newsgroup split has been proposed for comp.ai: one group for
implementors, and one for philosophy of AI.  Several people
have seconded the motion.]

     I should note at this point that, theoretically at least,
there is already a newsgroup that is perfect for the
philosophy of mind/intelligence/AI discussion.  It's called
talk.philosophy.tech, and has been talked about as an official
newsgroup for some time.

     The trouble is that I know of no site which is actually
carrying this newsgroup.  Also, it doesn't appear on the
official newsgroup list.

     I think the meta-discussion in comp.ai should be enough
to push the net.gods into re-doing the "newgroup" for
talk.philosophy.tech, creating it in fact as well as in theory.

--Jamie.
...!seismo!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!andrews
"The fires col, my storys tol"

greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) (12/04/86)

>>     I would like to suggest that this group be split into two groups;
>>one about "doing AI" and one on "philosophising about AI", the latter
>>to contain the various discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers,
>>and suchlike.
>
>Good idea.  I was beginning to think the discussions of "when is an
>artifice intelligent" might belong in "talk.ai."  I was looking for
>articles about how to do AI, and not finding any.  The trouble is,
>"comp.ai.how-to" might have no traffic at all.

How do you "do" AI without talking about what it is that you are
trying to do?

Seems to me that discussions about cognitive modeling and Turing
tests and whatever else are perfectly acceptable here, if not
needed.  But I could live without the "sentient computers" book
lists.

But you're right.  Maybe we should post data structures or
something.  Doesn't it always come down to data structures?

bsmith@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (12/05/86)

There is a serious problem with having any notesfile with "philosophy"
in its name--just look at talk.philosophy.misc.  There, an endless
number of people who think philosophy consists of no more than just
spewing forth unsubstantiated opinions conduct what are laughably
called discussions but are really nothing other than name-calling
sessions (interlaced with ample supplies of vulgarities).  Steven
Harnad has inspired discussions on this net which, perhaps, ought to
be in a separate notesfile, but I shudder to think what such a
notesfile would be like.  One suggestion--given the ugliness of
talk.philosophy.misc, I think this new notesfile ought to be
moderated.

marty1@houem.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (12/05/86)

In <1991@adobe.UUCP>, greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) replies to a
suggestion by jbn@glacier.UUCP (John Nagle)...

"that this group be split into two groups; one about 'doing AI' and one
on 'philosophising about AI', the latter to contain the various
discussions about Turing tests, sentient computers, and suchlike."

... with the question: "How do you 'do' AI without talking about what
it is that you are trying to do?"

Maybe we ought to split on the basis of what we are trying to do.  I
suggested in my own response <720@houem.UUCP> that "we just try always
to create something more intelligent than we created before...  That
way we can not only claim nearly instant success, but also continue to
have further successes without end."

That joke has a serious component.  What some of us are trying to do
is imitate known intelligence, and particularly human intelligence.
Others (including myself) are just trying to do artificially as much as
possible of the work for which we now depend on human intelligence.
Actually, I am looking at an application, not inventing methods.

Those of us who are not trying to imitate human intelligence may
ultimately surpass human intelligence.  But we can pursue our goal
without knowing how to measure or test artificial intelligence.  My
main problem is that I don't know how the people who do it think about
their methods, so I want to hear about methods.

						Marty
M. B. Brilliant		(201)-949-1858
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	houem!marty1

ccplumb@watnot.UUCP (12/05/86)

In article <603@ubc-cs.UUCP> andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:

>     [For the edification of the people in news.groups, a
>newsgroup split has been proposed for comp.ai: one group for
>implementors, and one for philosophy of AI.  Several people
>have seconded the motion.]

I'd like to add my vote.

>     The trouble is that I know of no site which is actually
>carrying talk.philosophy.tech.  Also, it doesn't appear on the
>official newsgroup list.

Hmm... There's a line in my .newsrc:

talk.philosophy.tech:

(i.e. The group exists, and I'm subscribed, but nothing's ever appeared)

Of course, my site (watnot) has the distinction of being in the same
room as a backbone (watmath), so it may not have propagated everywhere.

	-Colin Plumb (ccplumb@watnot.UUCP)

Zippy says:
I know things about TROY DONAHUE that can't even be PRINTED!!

ladkin@kestrel.ARPA (Peter Ladkin) (12/09/86)

In article <603@ubc-cs.UUCP>, andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (Jamie Andrews) writes:
>      I should note at this point that, theoretically at least,
> there is already a newsgroup that is perfect for the
> philosophy of mind/intelligence/AI discussion.  It's called
> talk.philosophy.tech, and has been talked about as an official
> newsgroup for some time.

I am the `moderator' of this group, which is dormant pending
submissions. There was some trouble starting it up, and so
I maintained a mailing list for a while. I no longer do so.

If there is interest, we can try to start it up again. The
interested parties just went back to their old groups when
we had so much trouble propagating it.

peter ladkin
ladkin@kestrel.arpa

tiwary@hpsrlc.HP.COM (Ashutosh Tiwary) (12/10/86)

	I third it.

rosa@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Rosa Michaelson) (12/12/86)

Summary:SPLIT THE GROUP

Please split the group. I have an aversion to the words
turing, cognative, brain, mind, identity, inteligence, etc
(no not etc) which has been learnt through reading the
various ai newsgroups. Do you realise that we get at least
three copies of each news item(through various digests)

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (12/12/86)

I vote NO.  Don't split this group.

If you want to see nuts-and-bolts questions in this group, then

POST THEM!!

Suitable discussion will follow, I am sure.