[comp.ai] Eliza, Doctor, Parry, Ractor, etc, ...

dougie@its63b.UUCP (03/04/87)

I have heard about the various "chatty" programs which have been written
to imitate Psychiatrists (sp?), Doctors, Scribe's, etc, but have never
had the opportunity to play (play?!) use any of these programs. This kind
of software interests me a lot and would like to know if any of them
(or similar type) are freely available.

There is a book, I believe, titled "The Policeman's Beard is Half-Constructed"
which chronicles the 'works' of one of these programs (I can't remember which).
Does anyone know of its availability/publisher/price, and if there are any
other recommended books in this kind of area.

Any info appreciated. I will summarise any e-mail to me if there is
any interest.

  [ .. I *know* this article is already in misc.misc. before anyone flames
   me for bad netiquette. I've had trouble trying to post to the more
   relevant ones. DJN ]

--

Dougie Nisbet

University of Edinburgh      | <UUCP>  ...seismo!mcvax!ukc!its63b!dougie
Medical Statistics Unit      | <JANET> dougie@uk.ac.ed.its63b
Medical School
Teviot Place
Edinburgh
Scotland

cracraft@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Stuart M. Cracraft) (03/06/87)

In article <310@its63b.ed.ac.uk> dougie@its63b.ed.ac.uk (D Nisbet) writes:

>I have heard about the various "chatty" programs which have been written
>to imitate Psychiatrists (sp?), Doctors, Scribe's, etc, but have never
>had the opportunity to play (play?!) use any of these programs. This kind
>of software interests me a lot and would like to know if any of them
>(or similar type) are freely available.

Ractor is one of the funniest programs I've ever seen.
I ran it on a Macintosh over at the local software shop,
and it had me in stitches for almost an hour.

(The stiches were recently removed by GNU-EMACS's `doctor' mode.)

Stuart

copp@bellcore.UUCP (03/06/87)

"The Policeman's Beard is Half Contructed,"
authored by Racter (with a little help from
William Chamberlain), Warner Books Inc., 666 Fifth Avenue,
New York, NY  10103, USA.  First printing Oct 1984.

This is a new publisher.  You may have to write directly to
Warner Books, P.O. Box 690, New York, NY  10019, USA.
They ask for a check for the list price ($9.95) plus
$0.75 per order and $0.50 per copy.

This is not a technical book.  It tells you very little about
Racter.  It is an amusing addition to your coffee table.

Martin Gardner (or was it Hofstedder?) devoted two or
three pages to Racter about three years ago (Scientific American).
Good article.  The program itself can be purchased, IBM PC format,
for about $75--see the SA article.)
--
				David H. Copp
				(201) 829-4337