[comp.ai] MS-DOS expert system tools?

fritz@hpfclp.UUCP (04/01/87)

I'm looking for expert-systems tools that can be run on PC-class machines.
Cost is a factor, but performance and features are more important.  I am
willing to consider systems that cost $5000 or more if they answer my needs.
The tool would be used in a process-control application.

Features I require and/or strongly desire include:

	- "Real-time" (or as close as I can get) response.  This probably
	  implies interruptable reasoning chains, and hopefully multiple
	  parallel reasoning chains so a chain could be blocked on an
	  outside data source (slow sensors, operator, etc.) while other,
	  non-blocked chains were processed.

	- Ability to link in my code to access the sensors, control the
	  application, etc.  It is NOT sufficient to be able to invoke
	  commands (.COM, .BAT, .EXE files).  It would be preferable if
	  *my* application could be the body of the end program and the
	  ES tool could be linked into *it*.

	- It would be very nice to have both forward and backward chaining.
	  Certainty factors are highly desirable.

So far I have looked at GURU, EXSYS, VP-Expert, and KDS.  None of these
systems comes close to my needs; most of them are question/answer menu-based
tools best suited for very simple interactive diagnostic or recommendation
ES's.  Some of them allow access to external databases, but none of them
(as far as I can tell) allow general user routines to be linked in.

I have access to TI's PC-Plus and will be looking at it soon.  I have read the
advertising blurb on Level Five's Insight-2+, and it sounds very interesting.
But then, the blurbs on some of the other tools sounded good, too.

Has anyone used these systems, or any others that meet my needs?  I would
really appreciate it if you would contact me with any suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary Fritz
{ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!fritz

japplega@csm9a.UUCP (04/05/87)

>I'm looking for expert-systems tools that can be run on PC-class machines
>
>So far I have looked at GURU, EXSYS, VP-Expert, and KDS.  None of these
>systems comes close to my needs; most of them are question/answer menu-based
>tools best suited for very simple interactive diagnostic or recommendation
>ES's.  Some of them allow access to external databases, but none of them
>(as far as I can tell) allow general user routines to be linked in.
>
>I have access to TI's PC-Plus and will be looking at it soon.  I have read the
>advertising blurb on Level Five's Insight-2+, and it sounds very interesting.
>But then, the blurbs on some of the other tools sounded good, too.
>
>Has anyone used these systems, or any others that meet my needs?  I would
>really appreciate it if you would contact me with any suggestions.

Most PC based Expert Systems shells are oriented towards database type
type queries of their knowledge.  Though it is possible to acces both ports
and the bios from TI's Personal Consultant Plus, I doubt if that or any shell
will give the response needed for real time processing.

A more feasible method for this type of development is to do it from scratch
in an acceptable language... most probably Lisp or Prolog, though C and
Pascal can be used in such an environment and have been in the past!

At the risk of getting lynched I would recommend you take a look at Turbo
Prolog... if your rule base is not dynamic, Turbo Prolog provides a powerful
yet inexpensive development engine with graphic primitives and direct access
to DOS and BIOS functions as well as the I/O ports of a PC.

       Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
              {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
                                  or
                SYSOP @ (303) 273-3989 300/1200/2400 8-N-1
                        Minds of Mines AI BBS

randyg@iscuva.UUCP (Randy Gordon) (04/09/87)

In article <429@csm9a.UUCP> japplega@csm9a.UUCP (Joe Applegate) writes:

>>I'm looking for expert-systems tools that can be run on PC-class machines
>>

>At the risk of getting lynched I would recommend you take a look at Turbo
>Prolog... if your rule base is not dynamic, Turbo Prolog provides a powerful
>yet inexpensive development engine with graphic primitives and direct access
>to DOS and BIOS functions as well as the I/O ports of a PC.
>

>       Joe Applegate - Colorado School of Mines Computing Center
>              {seismo, hplabs}!hao!isis!csm9a!japplega
>                                  or
>                SYSOP @ (303) 273-3989 300/1200/2400 8-N-1
>                        Minds of Mines AI BBS

we just got thru fighting over this in comp.lang.prolog. You might want to
take a look at the notes.

I personally feel that Arity is far better than Turbo (Ive used both).

There is even both Emycin and OPS5 like shells you can link in royalty free.

PS. No afffiliation with Arity or Turbo....I'm just a satisfied user

Randy Gordon "tao ku tse fun pee"