[comp.ai] Chart parsers and PROLOG

emerson@uvm-gen.UUCP (05/11/87)

I would like to hear from others who have been working in PROLOG for natural language processing.  I am currently working on implementing an effecient parser
in PROLOG, and have found the active chart formalism to be the most effective for efficient parsing.  Has anyone else done work such as this?  I know that Hideki Hirakawa of ICOT has implemented a chart parser in concurrent PROLOG (see ICOT TR-008).

For those who would like a description of the chart formalism, I would be glad to put a short description on the net.

Does any one know of a more effecient formalism than the active chart?  All and any information would be appreciated.

Tom Emerson
University of Vermont

jkim@uhccux.UUCP (Jay Kim) (05/25/87)

In article <548@uvm-gen.UUCP>, emerson@uvm-gen.UUCP (Tom Emerson) writes:
> I would like to hear from others who have been working in PROLOG for natural language processing.  I am currently working on implementing an effecient parser
> in PROLOG, and have found the active chart formalism to be the most effective for efficient parsing.  Has anyone else done work such as this?  I know that Hideki Hirakawa of ICOT has implemented a chart parser in concurrent PROLOG (see ICOT TR-008).
>
> For those who would like a description of the chart formalism, I would be glad to put a short description on the net.
>
> Does any one know of a more effecient formalism than the active chart?  All and any information would be appreciated.
>
> Tom Emerson
> University of Vermont

i am working on a parser in spitbol and another in LISP.  i want to know what you mean by the acitve chart.  it mgiht help to see if the one i am working on is more effecient than that.

randyg@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Randy Gordon) (05/26/87)

I can't seem to get a reply out, so...

Actually there are a number of formalisms, depending on the language. I use
(unofficially) McCord logical Form(slot and Grammer) stuff in prolog, plus
an occasional Conceptual Dependency type analyzer. Efficency depends mostly
on what you are trying to do and with what language.

To the fellow who asked about chart parsing:
If you want a good explanation of chart parsing, look at chapter 9 of
Artificial Intelligence, tools, techniques and applications, by Shea and
Eisenstadt, Harper and Row, 1984.