[comp.ai] ID3 vs C4

damon@upba.UUCP (Damon Scaggs) (06/01/87)

I understand that Ross Quinlan, author of the ID3 classification algorithm
has developed a better version with the designation C4.  I am looking for
any papers or references about this new algorithm as well as any comments
about what it does better.

--
Damon Scaggs
ihnp4!upba!damon

reiter@endor.UUCP (06/04/87)

In article <114@upba.UUCP> damon@upba.UUCP (Damon Scaggs) writes:
>I understand that Ross Quinlan, author of the ID3 classification algorithm
>has developed a better version with the designation C4.  I am looking for
>any papers or references about this new algorithm as well as any comments
>about what it does better.

The best reference I've seen on statistical algorithms for learning decision
trees is

	CLASSIFICATION AND REGRESSION TREES
		by L. Breiman, J. Friedman, R. Olshen, C. Stone
		Wadsworth Press, 1984

The book makes no specific mention of ID3 or C4, but it gives much more
detail about this class of learning algorithms than I've seen in any of
Quinlan's papers.

I'm posting this reponse to the net because I really do think this is a
superb book.
					Ehud Reiter
					reiter@harvard	(ARPA,BITNET,UUCP)
					reiter@harvard.harvard.EDU  (new ARPA)

gerry@praxis.UUCP (06/15/87)

In article <114@upba.UUCP> damon@upba.UUCP (Damon Scaggs) writes:

>I understand that Ross Quinlan, author of the ID3 classification algorithm
>has developed a better version with the designation C4.  I am looking for
>any papers or references about this new algorithm as well as any comments
>about what it does better.

I can't speak for C4 but I will claim, immodestly, that an inductive
learning program I wrote (and reported) a few years ago is, in certain
respects, more sophisticated than ID3.  In particular, it integrates
the learning of segmental structure with the learning of disjunctive
(class) structure.  The program (called SNPR) also has the ability
to generalize structures and to correct overgeneralizations
*without correction by a 'teacher' or the provision of 'negative'
samples*.

The reference is: Wolff J G (1982).  Language acquisition, data
compression and generalization.  Language & Communication 2, 57-89.

| Dr Gerry Wolff		|	Phone: (44) 225 335855		|
| Praxis Systems plc		|	UUCP: gerry@praxis.co.uk	|
| 20 Manvers Street		|	Telex: 445848 PRAXIS G		|
| Bath				|	Facsimile Groups 2 & 3		|
| BA1 1PX			|	    (44) 225 65205		|