[comp.ai] Thanks.

ghn@mind.UUCP (Gregory Nelson) (07/13/87)

In article <993@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:
>[]
>I will abide by the decision [to move]. Perhaps I may be allowed a few
>parting reflections:
>
>(1) It is not entirely clear what the motivation of the nays was:
>ecological/economic considerations about overuse of the airways or
>reluctance to perform the dozen or so keystrokes per week (or to
>put in the software filter) that would flush unwanted topic headers.
>[]
>(3) Along with several thoughtful replies, there was unfortunately also some
>ad hominem abusiveness, both in the poll and in the discussion. This is the
>ugly side of electronic networks: unmoderated noise from the tail end of the
>gaussian distribution.

Is it possible, that with all of the artificial intelligence researchers
this board has brought together, we might come up with a way to filter
bulletins before they were posted:  for example, to cut out sarcasm and
abusive language (of course, informing the writer of this fact).  This would
certainly help to ...

>[make the] Net the reliable and respectable medium of scholarly communication
>that I and (I trust) others are hoping it will evolve into.

>(4) I continue to be extremely enthusiastic about and committed to
>developing the remarkable potential of electronic networks for scholarly
>communication and the evolution of ideas. I take the present votes to
>indicate that the current Usenet Newsgroups may not be the place to attempt
>to start this.

That sounds like something a good program would have to filter.

>(5) Starting a special-interest Newsgroup every time a topic catches
>on does not seem like the optimal solution.

This is true.  However, there is a great difference between a topic
"catching on" and a few people posting hundreds upon hundreds of lines of
text every week.  Not everyone who said "nay" was attacking you.  Many of
them said that they would like the discussion to continue, but that it was
just TOO verbose.  I for one am very interested in the problem, and have
been trying to follow along (for several months of "catching on"...), but
it's hard to keep up!

>(6) The current majority status of engineers, computer scientists and
>programmers on the Net also seems to be a constraint on the development of
>its broader scholarly potential.

You've clearly had a lot to do lately, keeping up with the symbol grounding
discussion and summarizing polls.  Perhaps you should take some time off to
look at some of the other newsgroups.  The comp.xxxx discussions are naturally
oriented to computer people, but things like rec.xxx and sci.xxx are much
more "broadminded" (if you will.)  If you want a real surprise, try tuning
in to the Deja Vu discussion on misc.psi or something like that.

Greg Nelson                 (609) 924-6923
Princeton University
Cognitive Science Lab
princeton!mind!ghn

dwp@cci632.UUCP (Dana Paxson) (07/14/87)

In article <1010@mind.UUCP> ghn@mind.UUCP (Gregory Nelson) writes:
>In article <993@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:
>>[]
>>[make the] Net the reliable and respectable medium of scholarly communication
>>that I and (I trust) others are hoping it will evolve into.
>>(4) I continue to be extremely enthusiastic about and committed to
>>developing the remarkable potential of electronic networks for scholarly
>>communication and the evolution of ideas. I take the present votes to
>>indicate that the current Usenet Newsgroups may not be the place to attempt
>>to start this.
>
>                             ...  Perhaps you should take some time off to
>look at some of the other newsgroups.  The comp.xxxx discussions are naturally
>oriented to computer people, but things like rec.xxx and sci.xxx are much
>more "broadminded" (if you will.)  If you want a real surprise, try tuning
>in to the Deja Vu discussion on misc.psi or something like that.

I realize that this is belated input.

As one who followed along with an occasional understanding of
the discussion on symbol grounding, I have been attracted both
to the discussion and to the way in which Stevan Harnad
conducted it.  I admire the discipline and rigor evident in his
postings, and see his work as an example of how a newsgroup
functioning often as a bulletin board with limited scope can
be enriched by some really difficult exploration.  Some of the
other contributors to the discussion appeared to work well at a
level near Mr. Harnad's.  It has been an exciting series of
exchanges.

I regret the loss of the discussion from the newsgroup.  Any
reader of the most potent material on computer science will find
that the authors reach out to many fields to gain inspiration,
illustration, and, yes, even forms of grounding(!) for their
work.  Especially grounding.

Like any other science area with meaning, computer science does
not begin in words (or bytes) and end in bytes (or words).  It
ends in application, or at least applicability, to our lives.
In the AI realm, that applicability is becoming an intimate
metamorphism, a mapping/transformation, of how we work rather
than a translation of what we do.  If I can characterize an
aspect of the symbol grounding discussion, it is a knife-sharp
exploration of the type of problem dismissed by so many as
having a self-evident solution.  This class of problem is
precisely the type which is most difficult even to see, let
alone solve.  Witness the depth and detail of the exchanges we
have seen.  If others become impatient with the material, they
don't have to read it; but this topic area appears to be poorly
understood by anybody, and desperately needs close dialogue.
Personally, I feel strongly the need to extend my cognitive
framework with such powerful and challenging material.

Perhaps the outcomes from discussions like this one have too
much potential for making a lot of funded thesis work and
product development irrelevant... but then some outcomes can
unfold whole new realms of exploration and advancement.  Unless
I am mistaken, these newsgroups can play an active role in this
unfoldment.  I don't want to see anything this good be relegated
to an obscure electronic cranny, or lumped with a lot of diffuse
and irrelevant outpourings.  Computer scientists have a lot to
learn from the symbol-grounding exchanges right here.

I sense that there are many quiet readers out there who have
powerful ideas relating to this subject, but who have kept
silent on seeing contemptuous and abusive complaints of
others about the length and content of the postings.  For
complaints, it seems reasonable to address the complaints to
authors privately, or to the moderator if there is one; but
open criticism on the net discourages its use by those whose
insight and sensitivity exceed their boldness.  Making one's
views public is an intimidating process in itself, so why should
we raise the level of intimidation?

For my part, I would like to ask for a citation for Mr. Harnad's
original article on the subject of symbol grounding; I want to
read it to find out what started the interchange I have seen.  I
tuned in late in the process.

Thanks to all of the participants in this probing discussion.

The views expressed here are my own.

Dana Paxson
Systems Engineering
Computer Consoles, Incorporated
Rochester, New York
716 482-5000
CIS User ID:  76327,65

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Christopher Young) (07/27/87)

In article <1431@cci632.UUCP>, dwp@cci632.UUCP (Dana Paxson) writes:
> In article <1010@mind.UUCP> ghn@mind.UUCP (Gregory Nelson) writes:
> >In article <993@mind.UUCP> harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) writes:
> >>[]
> >>[make the] Net the reliable and respectable medium of scholarly communication
> >>that I and (I trust) others are hoping it will evolve into.
> >>(4) I continue to be extremely enthusiastic about and committed to
> >>developing the remarkable potential of electronic networks for scholarly
> >>communication and the evolution of ideas. I take the present votes to
> >>indicate that the current Usenet Newsgroups may not be the place to attempt
> >>to start this.
>
> I realize that this is belated input.

Me too.

> As one who followed along with an occasional understanding of
> the discussion on symbol grounding, I have been attracted both
> to the discussion and to the way in which Stevan Harnad
> conducted it.  I admire the discipline and rigor evident in his
> postings, and see his work as an example of how a newsgroup
> functioning often as a bulletin board with limited scope can
> be enriched by some really difficult exploration.  Some of the
> other contributors to the discussion appeared to work well at a
> level near Mr. Harnad's.  It has been an exciting series of
> exchanges.

I agree completely.

> I regret the loss of the discussion from the newsgroup.

> I sense that there are many quiet readers out there who have
> powerful ideas relating to this subject, but who have kept
> silent on seeing contemptuous and abusive complaints of
> others about the length and content of the postings.  For
> complaints, it seems reasonable to address the complaints to
> authors privately, or to the moderator if there is one; but
> open criticism on the net discourages its use by those whose
> insight and sensitivity exceed their boldness.  Making one's
> views public is an intimidating process in itself, so why should
> we raise the level of intimidation?

I followed this discussion off and on, though I have a tendency to
pop in and out of the net since I get absorbed in work at my lab. I,
like Dana Paxson, tried to keep up with the discussion on symbol grounding.
I was quite shocked to plug back into the net (so to speak) and find that
it had been voted off the net! I think that's ridiculous. The discussion
was completely germain to the subject of this group. Certainly it was
more relevant than many of the other discussions I've seen here (such as
what "Jabberwocky" looks like after a style and spelling checker is through
with it).

Now, Steve Harnad's posts were rather lengthy; that's why I sent them to
a file so I could read them later. But there is no reason at all that
that should be a reason for banning a very relavant discussion. This
group does have *that* much traffic, after all. And nobody is forced
to read it. But there are those of us who read this group and who are seriously
involved with AI, and who really appreciate seeing something substantial on
the net. It's really not that hard to skip to the next message.

If I had been plugged in at the time of the vote, I would have voted in
favour of Harnad and the symbol grounding discussion.
--

					-- Chris. (cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu)

"He was a cruel man, but fair."  -- M.P.F.C.