[comp.ai] Low-level feature extraction and interframe matching software wanted

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (08/01/87)

     Does software exist for following moving objects from frame to frame
in video images?  I'm looking for something that works by finding low-level
features such as edges and corners and matches them from one frame to the
next.  I'm aware of "optical flow" calculation, but the usual numeric
method for doing this is differentiation-oriented and too noise-sensitive
to be useful on real-world images, I am told by someone who has tried it.
So I'd like something that finds many low-level features and tries to
match them up.

     The intended application is a vision system for a robot vehicle.  But it
is possible that techniques used for colorizing B/W films would be useful
for this purpose.  So I'd like to hear from people who know how colorizing
is done.

     Software, algorithms, hardware, or indications of research activity
would be useful.

					John Nagle
					Center for Design Research, Stanford

apn@nonvon.UUCP (apn) (08/05/87)

In article <17150@glacier.STANFORD.EDU> jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) writes:

>     Does software exist for following moving objects from frame to frame
>in video images?  I'm looking for something that works by finding low-level
>features such as edges and corners and matches them from one frame to the

	There is a company in Santa Rosa, CA that does something like this
They are called MAC or motion analysis corporation.

			Alex P Novickis

--
UUCP: {ihnp4,ames,qantel,sun,amdahl,lll-crg,pyramid}!ptsfa!nonvon!apn

{* Only those who attempt the absurd   ...   will achieve the impossible   *}
{* I think... I think it's in my basement... Let me go upstairs and check. *}
{*                                                      -escher            *}