[comp.ai] Beyond Mr.P & Mr.S.

vanhove@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Patrick Van Hove) (08/29/87)

I had a somewhat different story of the same type.

A door-to-door vacuum cleaner sales person tries his pitch to
this uncompassionate mother-at-home-with-kids-screaming-behind
and after two minutes, the following dialog ensues

mother: Before you go any further, I just want to see if you are really
	as much >mister-smart< as you pretend. Let's see.
	My husband noticed a while ago that since the last birthday,
	the product of the ages of my three daughters is exactly
	the number on our house. If I add that the sum of their ages
	is 13, can you figure out how old they are?

 (Note:
  	integer ages;
	integer house-numbers;)

salesman (after thinking for a while):
	Well, I think I'm sorry I can't

mother:	OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson.

salesman:
	Your oldest daughter? Well then, I think I know the answer now:
	their ages are >CENSORED<, >CENSORED< and >CENSORED<.

mother: Now I'm impressed! I'll get a dozen of those cleaners of yours.

Well, reader, can you figure it out now? Of course you don't even
know the number on the house, but who said this was going to be easy?

	Patrick

"No wind today, so I'm hacking"

des@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (David Smyth) (08/31/87)

Nine, and twins of two?  The street address is 36.

lewisd@homxc.UUCP (D.LEWIS) (08/31/87)

In article <668@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, vanhove@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Patrick Van Hove) writes:

> I had a somewhat different story of the same type.
>
> mother: Before you go any further, I just want to see if you are really
> 	as much >mister-smart< as you pretend. Let's see.
> 	My husband noticed a while ago that since the last birthday,
> 	the product of the ages of my three daughters is exactly
> 	the number on our house. If I add that the sum of their ages
> 	is 13, can you figure out how old they are?
>
>  (Note:
>   	integer ages;
> 	integer house-numbers;)
(edited - mother refers to "oldest daughter")
> salesman:
> 	Your oldest daughter? Well then, I think I know the answer now:
> 	their ages are >CENSORED<, >CENSORED< and >CENSORED<.

The key is noticing that there must be only a single answer of the
form n,n,n+p for ages.  The solution, then is in listing out the possibilities:
  n n n+p  product
  ================
  1 1 11   11
  2 2 9    36
  3 3 7    42
  4 4 5    80
  5 5 3    75
  6 6 1    36
So, because the salesman couldn't tell the difference immediately but was
able to after he was told that there was a single oldest daughter, we
know that the house number is 36 and that the daughters are 2, 2, and 9.

--

David B. Lewis    {ihnp4!}homxc!lewisd
201-615-5306 Eastern Time, Days.

I wrote:
> The key is noticing that there must be only a single answer of the
> form n,n,n+p for ages.  The solution, then is in listing out the possibilities:
>   n n n+p  product
>   ================
>   1 1 11   11
>   2 2 9    36
>   3 3 7    42
>   4 4 5    80
>   5 5 3    75
>   6 6 1    36
> So, because the salesman couldn't tell the difference immediately but was
> able to after he was told that there was a single oldest daughter, we
> know that the house number is 36 and that the daughters are 2, 2, and 9.

Aside from the fact that I can't multiply 3,3,and 7 correctly,
I erred in the solution.  It is true that the key is in realizing
that the salesman can come up with two or more answers -- an answer
being x,y,z such that x+y+z=13 and all such pairs have the same
product or set of products -- but that when he is told that the oldest
daughter is not a twin the answer is unique.

It turns out that there are only 14 possibilities.  Of these, only
two pairs have the same value -- the two mentioned above.  And then
2,2,9 is deducible.

Sorry for the goof.  I'm beating this into the ground.

--

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (09/01/87)

In article <1065@homxc.UUCP>, lewisd@homxc.UUCP (D.LEWIS) writes:
> In article <1064@homxc.UUCP>, lewisd@homxc.UUCP (D.LEWIS) writes:
> > In article <668@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, vanhove@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Patrick Van Hove) writes:
> > > 	the product of the ages of my three daughters is exactly
> > > 	the number on our house. If I add that the sum of their ages
> > > 	is 13, can you figure out how old they are?
> > > 	Your oldest daughter? Well then, I think I know the answer now:
> > > 	their ages are >CENSORED<, >CENSORED< and >CENSORED<.

After a false start...

> .....  It is true that the key is in realizing
> that the salesman can come up with two or more answers ...
> ..... but that when he is told that the oldest
> daughter is not a twin the answer is unique.
>
> It turns out that there are only 14 possibilities.....

There are only TWO possible answers with twin eldest daughters:
(1,6,6) with a product of 36, and (3,5,5) with a product of 75.
The house number must be 36 because no other answer is possible
for 75.  If the product is 36 and the largest factor is unique,
the only possible answer is (2,2,9), which is the answer first given
by lewisd@homxc.UUCP (D.LEWIS) for the wrong reason.

I don't know what this has to do with AI.  It's a test of real
intelligence.  Who else solved it without a scrathpad?

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201)-949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	ihnp4!houdi!marty1

colin@pdn.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <1295@houdi.UUCP>, marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> > .....  It is true that the key is in realizing
> > that the salesman can come up with two or more answers ...
> > ..... but that when he is told that the oldest
> > daughter is not a twin the answer is unique.

In the original story, the reference made by the mother
to the respective ages of her daughters is:

	"mother:   OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson."

If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.

> I don't know what this has to do with AI.  It's a test of real
> intelligence.  Who else solved it without a scrathpad?

I did, by refraining from making an unwarranted assumption.
--
Colin Kendall				Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,akgua}!usfvax2!pdn!colin	Mail stop LF-207

marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) (09/03/87)

In article <1238@pdn.UUCP>, colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) writes:
> In article <1295@houdi.UUCP>, marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> > > .....  It is true that the key is in realizing
> > > that the salesman can come up with two or more answers ...
> > > ..... but that when he is told that the oldest
> > > daughter is not a twin the answer is unique.
>
> In the original story, the reference made by the mother
> to the respective ages of her daughters is:
>
> 	"mother:   OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
> 	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson."
>
> If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
> daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
> assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.

Only one solver made that incorrect assumption, in his first posting.
Instead, our key clue is that the salesman needed the clue that there
was an oldest daughter, and not two oldest daughters the same age.

Your proposed solution is too easy, because then the salesman would not
have needed that clue.  The house number (product of the ages) would be
20, which can be uniquely decomposed into three factors whose sum is 13.

> > I don't know what this has to do with AI.  It's a test of real
> > intelligence.  Who else solved it without a scrathpad?
>
> I did, by refraining from making an unwarranted assumption.

Nice try, but no cigar.  I still don't know what this has to do with AI
(pardon my misspelling of scratchpad).

lewisd@homxc.UUCP (D.LEWIS) (09/03/87)

In article <1238@pdn.UUCP>, colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) writes:
> In article <1295@houdi.UUCP>, marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> > > .....  It is true that the key is in realizing
> > > that the salesman can come up with two or more answers ...
> > > ..... but that when he is told that the oldest
> > > daughter is not a twin the answer is unique.
>
> In the original story, the reference made by the mother
> to the respective ages of her daughters is:
>
> 	"mother:   OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
> 	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson."
>
> If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
> daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
> assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.
>
> > I don't know what this has to do with AI.  It's a test of real
> > intelligence.  Who else solved it without a scrathpad?
>
> I did, by refraining from making an unwarranted assumption.

So the house number is 20, and the solution is
unique.  Why didn't the salesman reply
immediately?  He missed the quick kill because the information
was insufficient at first.  Only after the quote above did he have
enough info.

PS: There is also a unique solution with the sum of the ages equal to 14,
I believe.
--

David B. Lewis    {ihnp4!}homxc!lewisd
201-615-5306 Eastern Time, Days.

thorp@mmlai.UUCP (John Thorp) (09/04/87)

Before this gets out of hand...

	It seems the trick to seeing the solution is to realize the
	YOU are a third party to the dialog.  Just because the author
	has choosen not to give the house number in the problem
	DOES NOT mean the saleaman does not know the house number.
	For a matter of fact, the salesman can observe the house number.
	His response of "no I can not tell you the age of your daughters"
	leeds us to one of two conclusions:

		1) the solution is not unique for the house number he
		   is observing. [.ie (1,6,6) (2,2,9)]

		   NOTE: The only house number to produce more
			 than one solution is 36, so this must be
			 the house.

	or	2) He is incapable of solving the problem for the given
		   house number. [.ie "I can't solve this problem!"]

	We all know that salesmen will do anything for a sale,
	even correctly solve math problems :-), so option 2 can
	not be the case.

	If the house number had provided a unique solution [ie. (1,2,10)],
	then the salesman would have responded with the proper triple
	and been done with it.

	If you follow the above, then the final paragraph by the housewife
	selects which of the TWO possible solutions is the correct one.
	(there exists an oldest daughter, singular) -> (2,2,9)

	Remember: The key is you, the reader, are an observer not a
		  participant.

> In article <1238@pdn.UUCP>, colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) writes:
> > In article <1295@houdi.UUCP>, marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
> >
> > 	"mother:   OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
> > 	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson."
> >
> > If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
> > daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
> > assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.
>
 			  | Its not up to YOU to choose a house number the
 			  | salesman can see it himself.
			 VV
> So the house number is 20, and the solution is
> unique.  Why didn't the salesman reply
> immediately?  He missed the quick kill because the information
> was insufficient at first.  Only after the quote above did he have
> enough info.
	HE had enough info all along.  If he had responded with (1,2,10)
	The housewife would have looked at him, looked at the number (36)
	and slammed the door.

	I hope this helped !

	comp.ai maybe...
	rec.puzzles yes!

--
John Thorp @ Martin Marietta Labs / Artificial Intelligence Department

ARPA: thorp@mmlai.uu.net
UUCP: {uunet, super, hopkins!jhunix} !mmlai!thorp

colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) (09/04/87)

In article <1303@houdi.UUCP#, marty1@houdi.UUCP (M.BRILLIANT) writes:
# In article <1238@pdn.UUCP>, colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) writes:
# > If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
# > daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
# > assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.
#
# Only one solver made that incorrect assumption, in his first posting.

Agreed.

# Instead, our key clue is that the salesman needed the clue that there
# was an oldest daughter, and not two oldest daughters the same age.
#
# Your proposed solution is too easy, because then the salesman would not
# have needed that clue.  The house number (product of the ages) would be
# 20, which can be uniquely decomposed into three factors whose sum is 13.
1,2,10 was not a proposed solution, just an example. I intended to
convey that the solution was impossible.

After reviewing all the related postings more carefully, I see.
The faulty assumption that *all* the solvers made was that the
salesman knew the house number. I didn't make that one.

--
Colin Kendall				Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,akgua}!usfvax2!pdn!colin	Mail stop LF-207
Phone: (813) 530-8697			8550 Ulmerton Road, PO Box 2826
					Largo, FL  33294-2826

merlyn@starfire.UUCP (Brian Westley) (09/06/87)

(crossposted to rec.puzzles, followups there please)

Given: ages A,B, and C, such that A+B+C=13 and A*B*C equals some number;
	the solution is ambiguous until you are told that one number is
	largest (i.e. this eliminates an answer where there are two
	equal larger numbers).

Answer:

A=9, B=2, C=2; A*B*C = 36.  The ambiguous case is A=6, B=6, C=1

Merlyn Leroy

alan@pdn.UUCP (09/12/87)

In article <1238@pdn.UUCP> colin@pdn.UUCP (Colin Kendall) writes:
/In the original story, the reference made by the mother
/to the respective ages of her daughters is:

/	"mother:   OK, you're right, I made it tough on you, but I have to go
/	now and drive my oldest daughter to her piano lesson."

/If the ages of the daughters are 1, 2, and 10, she has an oldest
/daughter. The various solvers seem to have made the
/assumption that the other two daughters are the same age.

/> I don't know what this has to do with AI.  It's a test of real
/> intelligence.  Who else solved it without a scrathpad?

/I did, by refraining from making an unwarranted assumption.

Hi Colin.

Are you saying the answer is 1, 2 and 10 because that means there is an
oldest daughter?  Then why not pick 13, 0, 0 or 7, 4, 2 (or whatever)?

Or did you mean that the reasoning of the other "solvers" is faulty
because there could be two daughters, both age "six", one ten months
"older" than the other?

--alan@pdn