[comp.ai] inSecurity

daveb@geac.UUCP (Brown) (09/14/87)

In article <8300004@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>IN SPITE OF RESEARCH, THE FOLLOWING ARE TENETS OF THE CURRENT WORKPLACE:
>"There is no such thing as real computer security."
>"There is always one more bug."

 These two tenets are related to each other in an interesting way:
provably secure operating systems exist (so-called "A1" systems), but
the proof merely demonstrates that
	a) An externally specified standard is met, and
	b) Certain insecure features have a diminishingly small bandwidth.
  (a) is related to the buggyness theorem by one level of indirection: there
is no proof in the system that the extra-systemic security policy does not
contain bugs.

  --dave (and I can point one out, oh orange-bookers) c-b
--
 David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb
 Geac Computers International Inc.,   |  Computer Science loses its